“What a long, strange trip it’s been”…is what I’ll say after Capstone.

Because this was only the beginning!
(I’ll have you know, I have successfully resisted the urge to use emojis in this blog all term….until now.)

😀

I am so excited for all of you incoming minors! Let me use more exclamation points just to fully express this!!!

As for advice, I suppose I’ll start with:

• Don’t resist that urge.
    • If you at all feel compelled to use emojis or write a monologue with no punctuation or bake cookies or paint or sign a song: in the famous words of Nike and Shia LaBeouf:do it, shia lebeoufThis is honestly the best class for doing that thing with your writing that you always felt was a little risky or out of place in other academic settings. Now, I’m not exactly saying to forgo all genre conventions–just make sure you live a little and create coursework you enjoy!
  • Do interact with the Sweetland faculty.
    • I’m a sophomore, but this is probably the first class where I actually went to meetings with the prof. Granted, they were mandatory. However, they were definitely what you made of them. Go prepared with your project and any questions you have. These people give great feedback and, if they don’t quite know what to make of you, good referrals. It’s their job: go to office hours, make appointments, develop a good working relationship. 🙂

That about sums it up, to be honest. I mean, there are the other typical things like always come prepared to class (and always, always go to class), do the readings, get friendly with your fellow minors/blog groups, have a good time, don’t put off big commitments, etc.

So now that Gateway is in its final stages, I suppose I’ll say:

Into the Great Wide Open…

Emily Post

Mostly books and buildings, with a hefty dose of veggie foods.

4 thoughts to ““What a long, strange trip it’s been”…is what I’ll say after Capstone.”

1. Hey Emily!!

You’ve given some honest advise here. Some of which I wish I would have taken more seriously while we were taking this class!

I wish that I had taken more risk. I got really creative with my reflective pieces and I have learned a lot about myself by taking this class, though. I think this class, for me, was more of a platform for deriving myself as a writer and a person so that in the future I can work more towards creating some risky stuff.

Being prepared and willing to meet with teachers is a skill that I learned last year and have used it since. We are taught by some seriously smart teachers and it would be a shame to waste all of their office hours. Getting yourself into their offices for office hours and meetings is a part of what separates the dedicated from the “getting the degree” students. Go the extra mile!!

Thanks for sharing Emily. We are so close to the end of this semester together. I look forward to more collaboration in the future!
    Caroline

2. Hi Emily,

I fully support and second the advice you have given above. This class is the perfect place to take academics risks and reach outside your comfort zone. In fact, I would argue that this class forced me to do just that, and I became a better writer because of it. The projects were presented in such a way that allowed each student to create something unique. And the limited requirements of the projects facilitated an avenue of learning I had never experienced before this course.

Furthermore, I agree that getting to know the Sweetland staff is very helpful. Everyone at the Sweetland Writing Center is enthusiastic about writing and helping students, and it would be foolish not to utilize the talents these advisors/professors have to offer.

It was a pleasure getting to know you this year, and I hope our paths cross again soon.
    Jeremy

3. Hi Emily,

I think it’s great that you’re suggesting new minors take risks in their writing. I’ve never really had a class that gave this level of free reign over to the students in terms of what we write about and how we choose to write it. It’s definitely a little strange having this much freedom; hopefully I take the right risks with my work. It’s also helpful that you mentioned making the most out of meeting with the professor (though mandated, I would probably have gone anyway). It’s so important to be honest with your professor in terms of where your work is at because that’s the only way they’ll be able to fully help you. Thanks for posting such great advice!

Che

4. This was really encouraging to read! I feel like often times we view school too much like a game—I mean, it is a game. But, I guess, we view it too much like a game to the extent that we refuse to take any creative risks, making sure we do everything “right,” making sure we finish it. I know it IS a writing minor, which would suggest that there would be a level of exploration of what writing is, but It’s still good to know that exploring different forms and ways of writing (emojis, gifs, multimedia forms) is encouraged! I’m looking forward to challenging the forms of writing I’m used to!