When I Was Your Age…

…I read this same advice on the first day of the Minor. At the time, I thought to myself, “Advice? Psh…I don’t need advice!” However, I would definitely suggest that you look through a bunch of these posts and take as much from them as possible. My list is definitely not exhaustive, and my classmates have some really important points!

legally blonde

1. Don’t overthink it! I spent way, way, way too much time thinking about what I wanted to do for my repurposing project. I must have changed my mind ten different times before choosing the paper I thought of the first time. Go with your gut.
  2. Ask questions. Whether it’s to your teacher, your blog group, or in your blog posts, don’t be afraid to ask questions about the stuff you’re working on. It’s easy to get attached to your work, so much so that you have trouble seeing surface problems.
  3. Get to know your blog groups. I can’t stress this enough. I became super close with my blog groups and I can honestly say that they were the main reason that my pieces came out better than I could have ever imagined. There are a lot of smart people in this class. Use them.
  4. Read a lot. Read this blog, read the newspaper, read your favorite book for the 500th time. When you read a lot, you start to see how different writers write, which will no doubt help you with your Repurposing, Remediation, and Why I Write projects.
  5. Show up. The best way to take full advantage of this class is to show up. Even if you’re not in the mood to write or discuss, come to class and you’ll find that being around your classmates can totally turn your mood around! Plus, you might even be able to jot down some of your thoughts that could contribute to one of your projects.

You may be a little overwhelmed with all of the projects that lie ahead, but don’t let those distract you from all of the growth you’re going to experience as a writer. You’ll find the type of writing you like to do (for me, it’s blogging) and you’ll find the type of writing that challenges you. You’ll meet people you may never have met had it not been for the Minor, and they’ll push you to become a better writer than you thought you could be.

Overall, congratulations on being accepted to the Minor, and get ready to learn a lot about your writing and yourself!

Caroline Rafferty

Caroline is a Lauren Conrad aficionado with more clothes than sense. Currently suffering with a severe case of wanderlust and wondering why more people don't like jicama, Caroline is an extremely gifted napper who is a Communications major. Between reading "Into The Gloss" and listening to her "rbf" Spotify playlist, Caroline writes about anything that comes to mind. Anything.

4 thoughts to “When I Was Your Age…”

1. Hi Caroline! I think it’s hilarious that all three of us wrote about the importance of blog groups. I’ve received great advice from you and Wyatt in the past few weeks, and I wouldn’t have ever been able to come up with some of the advice you both suggested.

I also connected with what you said about reading a lot. Recently, the Daily sports section had speakers from the UM Knight-Wallace Fellowship, and one of them mentioned how important it is to read. Read about things you like and things you couldn’t care less about. One of his examples was that he always reads the cover story of the Rolling Stone, regardless of if he cares about the pop star it features or not. He almost always finds things to appreciate from it, including the overall arc of the article.

2. Hey,

You, myself, and Kelly actually had pretty similar advice to the Newbss/Youngins/Those of a younger age. We all agree that it is way cooler to get to know your blog groups, because that really helps the process of peer review. We all agree to just take it easy and not stress about the writing. That point, especially, has resinated with me. The Minor in Writing program is full of faculty and students who, driven toward a specific destination or not, really just enjoy writing and thinking and exploring. Those are the types of people I am excited to be around and work with, and I have no doubt that the newest batch of Minors will be just the same way… eventually having some similar advice for the next class of youngins.

3. Hey Caroline! Your first piece of advice really resonates with me, because I am definitely guilty of overthinking almost everything. As soon as we heard about the repurposing project, my mind went to a million different places, and I already started to get stressed! In this class, I’m going to attempt to trust my instincts more and go with my gut, like you said. But I think that can be difficult to do, especially as a writing newb. For this first project especially, I am going to be self-conscious and overly aware of my topic and my writing style. Hopefully I am able to let go of that self-awareness a little bit and trust that my peer reviewers will give me honest and constructive feedback. I need to stop worrying about whether or not my drafts are great and focus more on the process of editing!

4. Hello Caroline!
    I was drawn to reading your advice post because of the Legally Blonde gif, but I’m really glad I read what you had to say! I think I struggle the most with reading enough and I hope to challenge myself most with that piece of advice. I’m really excited (and nervous) for this extraordinary journey everyone says I’m about to go on throughout the minor — I really appreciate the tips. 🙂

Ashley