Writing about my “Why I Write” Writing

I really, really enjoy the “Why I Write” topic. I mean that legitimately this time.

Normally, I get excited about assignments (I get excited pretty easily, not sure if this is good or bad), but then when I sit down to actually start to work, some of that anticipation dissipates.

Oops.

But this time, I feel the same kind of urgency writing about “Why I Write” as I do when I’m writing about fun things for the Daily. I still feel that sense of urgency–which is awesome–because my paper is far from complete and I’m excited to see where it goes. When I’m writing about this subject, words flow freely and I’m not afraid to just write down every single idea that I have. I really love how unstructured the prompt is, because I feel like I’m allowed to jot down pretty much anything that has impacted me as a writer. I haven’t been given an assignment to write about myself (extensively) in forever, so this has been really intriguing for me.

Also, as a sidenote, I really enjoy completing peer reviews. I feel fulfilled after I complete one because I think my advice actually helps others. I’m not sure when my approach to peer reviewing changed, because before, I always felt like I was forcing my opinion on others and I hated it. Now, though, I appreciate it way more. Maybe I’ve learned to enjoy slight criticism and now I don’t mind making suggestions to others? Whatever the reason may be, I just know that I love it.

Emma Stone reacts enthusiastically..

I don’t see the concept of peer review disappearing from the Minor in Writing anytime soon, but just in case, I would recommend never getting rid of it. Peer review is beneficial to everyone involved and I think most people agree that it seems necessary.

Kelly Hall

I'm a junior at the University of Michigan studying Psychology with minors in Writing and Entrepreneurship. I love writing about community events, especially those involving sports. On campus, I spend most of my time at the Michigan Daily, where I'm a sports editor and writer.

2 thoughts to “Writing about my “Why I Write” Writing”

1. Hi Kelly,

I completely agree! I’ve really enjoyed getting to respond to the “Why I Write” prompt as well as reading your “Why I Write” as it exists thus far. I think it’s giving us an insight into our own intentions behind writing and getting us to understand our peers on a deeper level. You have had such great ideas to include in your “Why I Write” thus far that I’m super excited to see how it turns out. I think this might be my favorite project we’ve done all semester. Probably because I feel like it’s really me writing, as opposed to modeling it after another genre/form which kind of makes me adjust my natural voice.

Additionally, I totally agree that peer review should stay. It’s probably the most valuable skill I’ve gained since being in college. In my English 125 class we did peer review and I always found that my paper ended up way better when I was able to help someone else improve theirs. It’s kind of crazy how much looking at someone else’s writing critically can end up helping you. Ah, the joys of writing. Good luck completing your Why I Write!

2. I agree, and I think our last class was a really good example of that. In fact, I think peer reviewing is truly helpful when it’s done in person. You and Caroline were really helpful this last class, and I really enjoyed chatting with both of your about your projects as well. I think it’s really cool that you have enjoyed exploring why you write. Whenever you talk about the subject, inadvertently or whatever, you really exude passion and direction. I’m excited to see how your Why I Write evolved over the next week and a half as you take more time to reflect and think about what you want to include in the piece.

I’ve also found that the words just flow when writing for this class. It’s funny though, because my words don’t necessarily flow for this particular project. I feel there are a bunch of reasons and motivations for why I write and actually for that reason, I want to just write a really short piece. Anyways, see you soon!