10 Magazines Every Writer Should Read

Prefacing this by saying I don’t think every writer needs to read these 10 magazines, I think Shelby Deering came up with a solid list of content to check out. She wrote the article on a site called “Contently” so you have to hope you could trust her judgement. For our class, we had to choose three sites that we thought would most captivate our interest, and from there, we had to choose an article from one of the sites to share with our class.

The first website I chose was Fast Company. Normally, I wouldn’t read a site about business and workplace changes, but that changed after I interned for Turner Sports this summer. That company prided itself on being forward thinking, so I want to be in tune to the way the workplace I’m about to enter has changed. While there’s a number of advice articles that seem marginally credible, it had a few cool features. I was particularly drawn to the tabs Design, Create, and Exist tabs; with the newest trends in each area.

The second was Oxford American. Sites like these with articles dedicated to certain cultures and traditions are always incredibly engaging because of the writer’s deep connection with the area, or the opposite: their unfamiliarity with new territory. These personal narratives are usually the some of the best works of creative non-fiction, and for someone who has mainly known the Midwest, the explorations of the South are an interesting change of scenery.

This was the site I chose my article from. It is titled “Dixie Zen” and the link is as follows: http://www.oxfordamerican.org/magazine/item/201-dixie-zen (Links to an external site.) This article describes tubing on a Southern river, a necessity for locals that has become ingrained in culture. It is a slow, languishing piece that goes over ever detail you can feel or describe while floating down a stream.

The final site was The New Yorker, which is instantly more recognizable than the other sites. I chose this site based on two articles I had previously read for classes, Susan Orlean’s “Orchid Fever” and another work on the capture of El Chapo. This site is one of the best examples of long form articles and creative non-fiction, and definitely falls under something every writer should read.