Must Read Magazines!

For this week’s discussion on Canvas, Shelley asked us to read the article “10 Magazines Every Writer Should Read” and respond with a list of our Top 3 and why. Although I thought all of the magazines were interesting, these three were my favorites…

Lucky Peach: As a food lover, I was immediately attracted to Lucky Peach. I had never heard of the publication, but I’ve enjoyed reading the articles so far. The features articles are great, one of my favorites was “The Science of Stale Coffee.” I particularly like how the writers on this site use food to tell a story.

Unknown

Esquire: The Esquire Style section is one of my favorites. Mostly dedicated to men’s style, I utilize the articles to brush up on the newest men’s fashion trends. As someone interested in women’s fashion, I am always trying to make sure I am up to date on men’s style as well.

chris-hemsworth-esquire-cover__oPt

Vanity Fair: Vanity Fair combines many of my interests, fashion, entertainment, and popular culture. What makes Vanity Fair stand out to me is diverse topics and writing quality. For some reason I also really like the website design, it makes me feel like I am reading a newspaper.

vf-cover-bruce-jenner-july-2015

As I browsed through the articles on Lucky Peach, my eyes were drawn to the article “Life Causes Cancer.” At first I was a little thrown off… was this going to be another article warning the public about the endless number of foods that cause cancer? However, this article was different. Focusing on the chemical acrylamide, the article outlines what it does and the harm it can cause to your body. BUT, it also addresses the fact that life in general can cause cancer. Food causes cancer. The sun causes cancer. Air causes cancer. The author reminds readers that all of these things are a warning to us that life is short and that we should enjoy every minute. I liked this article because of its bluntness and the message it leaves readers with. I think it applies to the minor, because the author takes what could be a simple topic and tells a story through it. The article digs deeper, finding meaning in what could be a simply factual article about chemicals in food that cause cancer. I think that this type of writing fits very well in the writing minor.