My dog has an instagram….. & other things you probably don’t care about

Before this year, the last time I played an organized sport was in sixth grade.  I never considered myself an athlete, let alone an athletic person.  Hell, I only started regularly exercising this summer when I returned home after freshman year to a closet full of ill-fitting shorts and a muffin top filled with regret and months’ worth of late-night pizza binges.  Despite my humble beginnings however, I found myself training for, and ultimately trying out for the rowing team this past fall.  My family laughed when I first proposed the idea, considering my utter lack of skill, coordination, strength, general athleticism (I could go on…), but I decided I really wanted to try something new and push myself to go out of my comfort zone.  Things turned out in my favor, and I now spend my days sitting on an erg (the rowing machine) for hours and eating CLIF bars like there’s no tomorrow.

I honestly don’t know why I just shared this story.  I thought I could formulate a grand way of drawing this experience to some greater conclusion about my character, but I just honestly needed a mildly catchy way to start this piece about my otherwise pretty average self.  I’m originally from Boise, Idaho, and unfortunately I’m not a potato farmer.  I have an older sister who goes to Penn State and a younger brother in his senior year of high school.  My family members are by far my favorite people in my life.

I have two dogs, but one is arguably more photogenic, so I made him an instagram where he usually quotes tasteless rap lyrics or makes uninspired commentary on daily life (shameless plug: @thataussiegeorge).

I’m majoring in some type of engineering with a minor in writing, and I’m also a campus tour guide.  I love to eat, cook, bake, and I watch an embarrassing amount of Food Network shows on Netflix.  Here’s a picture of me and my sister/ best friend enjoying a disgusting amount of ice cream:

While I honestly do enjoy school and having work to do, I procrastinate everything, hence why I’m writing this post the night before it’s due.  That being said, my writing process is usually jumpstarted during a last minute time crunch.  I like to write rough drafts for pieces at the last minute, as I find the impending deadline helps my brain dump happen most effectively.  No, seriously.  Once I have this dump of ideas on the page, then I find a nice space to sit down and go through the ideas more thoroughly.  I find I write most effectively in a cozy coffee shop, raspberry latte in hand, and away from the distractions of friends or other school work.  I often just stare at my computer screen until I muster up the courage to dive in and start editing something.  Once I get started though, I can usually immerse myself in revising for an hour or so until I need a snack break.  A few snacks, and oftentimes many hours later, I finally convince myself to sit back down and revise some more.  Although a painful process getting started, I do enjoy the simple fact that writing allows you to say anything and everything you feel needs to be said, without certain guidelines and restrictions that must be followed.

8 thoughts to “My dog has an instagram….. & other things you probably don’t care about”

1. Hi Lexi! I actually laughed to myself over the “unfortunately I’m not a potato farmer” comment, so thanks for that lol. I can relate quite a bit with your writing process. While I prefer not to procrastinate, it certainly happens, and I will admit that sometimes it does really help the ideas “dump” as you described. I also love writing in coffee shops. Out of curiosity, what is your favorite coffee shop in Ann Arbor?

Seeing you’re into engineering made me wonder how you decided to minor in writing? Along with this, what type of writing do you do most, academic or otherwise? Also, Do you procrastinate with your engineering work as well? Or do you find procrastinating helps your brain flow most with writing? And raspberry latte? Very interesting. Never had one myself but now I may try it out.

1. Favorite coffee shop is Sweetwaters on Liberty. I really like the cozy atmosphere & their nice selection of pastries 🙂
      I wanted to do the minor in writing because I’ve always liked writing, and also wanted a more creative thing to do while in my engineering curriculum. I often do procrastinate with my engineering homework, but the “brain dump” doesn’t really work as well with that stuff unfortunately. I need to work on engineering far in advance to really grasp the concepts, but with writing I feel the last minute brain dump method works pretty well!

Also yes, definitely try the raspberry latte! Or if you like something even a little sweeter try half vanilla, half raspberry latte. Too good!

2. Hey Lexie,

Your intro got the job done, I thought it was really catchy haha. It’s hilarious that you made an Instagram for one of your dogs, but I feel like the other one has to be pretty jealous about it. Also, being on rowing after only deciding to try out this summer has to be awesome. How often does the team compete?

As for writing, I can relate to the procrastination issue. I found myself writing papers the night before they were due way too often last semester. And lastly, you articulated why you like writing really well — I understand what you mean there.

1. Haha, my other dog is probably jealous, but she also runs anytime I try to take a picture of her. It’s like she’s afraid of my phone or something…..
      And for rowing we have our races coming up in the spring- should be exciting!

3. Yeah, what is a raspberry latte? I’m a little skeptical about fruity flavors.

To move on to real things– I’m always curious about what made people apply for the engineering school. I don’t understand how people got exposure to that discipline! Part of me wishes I had taken some kind of engineering class in high school so that I could’ve know what it was about. I kind of still think that people are only either doctors, teachers, or businessmen.

I also relate to your comments about procrastination. Do you ever feel like your best work is done at the last hour? That’s generally my excuse. Not really sure if it’s right though.

1. Yeah, what is a raspberry latte? I’m a little skeptical about fruity flavors.
      Also is your name short for something? My cousin Lexie is actually Alexandra, and my best friend Lexie is actually Alexsis.

To move on though– I’m always curious about what made people apply for the engineering school. I don’t understand how people got exposure to that discipline! Part of me wishes I had taken some kind of engineering class in high school so that I could’ve know what it was about. I kind of still think that people are only either doctors, teachers, or businessmen.

1. No, don’t be skeptical- seriously try it out! Or if you like even sweeter/ creamier flavors, go with half vanilla, half raspberry latte- very tasty!
        Yeah honestly, I don’t really know what made me apply for engineering either. I honestly had no real exposure to it in high school, but just thought i was decently okay at math so I decided to go for it haha. I wish I did have some exposure in high school though; it maybe would’ve given me a preview of what I was getting myself into.
        Haha yeah, I definitely get what you mean about not being sure if my best work is actually done at the last hour. I try to not save my engineering work until the last minute (though it often happens), but as for writing, it has worked out for me thus far.