Addicted to Houzz

After working as a in intern at a cabinetry and tile store this past summer, I am very familiar with the website Houzz. I used to have to update a Houzz account regularly for my internship, but after a while, I began visiting the website in my free time as well. In short, this website provides visitors with home decor and architectural inspiration and information. The layout and functionality of the website are very appealing, and despite being image heavy, it provides its visitors with an abundance of information.
The top of the home page displays the different pages that exist on the website (i.e. bathroom, kitchen, bedroom, etc.). There is also a search bar so that people can search for specific styles or items (i.e. spanish kitchen, mediterranean house, etc.). If you continue to scroll down the home page, you are greeted by a variety of images with short textual captions. There is a combination of articles, household object descriptions, house tours, landscape tours, and more. The images are set up in a consistent pattern: 3 rows with 3 images followed by one row with a large image (repeat, repeat, repeat). This simple, recurring layout helps the visitor to not feel overwhelmed by the variety of stories and options on the home page. After clicking on an image, a short description typically pops up, as well as additional information that may be relevant, such as pricing, location, style, and similar pictures or stories. This website appeals to me because one can mindlessly scroll through the site for pleasure and inspiration without ever running out of content to view, or one can visit the website with a specific goal in mind and accomplish it quickly. This website also strikes the perfect balance between text and image, allowing the viewer to first see more image, and then see more text only after clicking the image or seeking further detail about the image.