On Pitch Fests and Being Creative

In regards to the pitch fest today, I would say that is my confidence was at a 7 before I went into it, I left feeling like a 9.  That’s a pretty decent jump in my readiness to start this project proposal!

It was three minutes to 5:30 when I started pitching. I was the last to go, and we did not get to dwell too much on my project pitch, other than me just quickly pitching. I stated my idea: a podcast about food and community that explores the topic from different angles and disciplines. Overall, my peers responded quite positively to the idea. I noticed lots of nods while I was pitching (always a good sign) and I also read a lot of supportive statements in the comment boxes on Canvas. Despite the time crunch, I felt pleasantly surprised with what came out of the pitch fest. I got three pieces of valuable advice that I think I will use when creating my official project proposal.

First, is to interview an old person.  I love old people, so right off the bat I like the idea. Also, I think it would give an interesting perspective on food and community within the modern world. A longer lifetime would provide more wisdom when it comes to changing food communities. There are not any elderly individuals in Ann Arbor that I have a strong relationship with, but perhaps I will ask one of the folks in my pottery class. If they have time to take a pottery class at 12PM on a Tuesday, they should have time to talk to me about food.

Secondly, it was pointed out that I should be the host of my podcast, the way the Ira Glass is the host of This American Life.  This really excites me; partly because I love Ira Glass and I would love to emulate him in any way, and partly because I think that having a host fits well to what I envision my podcast to be. Having a host that gives a framework to the podcast, interviews and introduces, and wraps it up would be a clever way to be sure the podcast is speaking to the audience the way I want it to.

Here’s Ira Glass being brilliant (Shelley and Britni – I know you have already seen this!)

The third piece of advice I received was to think of one question that would be the “theme” of my podcast- I would spend the house exploring this question and trying to come as close as I can to answering it. I really like this idea, because I think it will be a great way to tie everything together. However, this is also my most challenging piece of advice, because now I have the task of actually thinking of what question I want to ask. Right now I am thinking perhaps: “How does our community affect how we eat?” Please post with any ideas you may have!

With the help of my peers (and Shelley), I now feel ready to move forward and create a proposal. There may be some changes that occur between the proposal I create, and the finished project. There might be some parts about my project I don’t like and want to start over. But that’s okay. No matter what happens, it will be a lovely adventure discovering exactly what I am capable of creating.  Like Ira Glass said, its all part of the creative process.

One thought to “On Pitch Fests and Being Creative”

1. Julia, I also love the idea of interviewing elderly people about food. They have a unique perspective on how food culture in the United States has changed, and they probably have a lot of great stories about local food places and how they have evolved. I also like the idea of a podcast, which is something very popular for those who have morning commutes or want something to listen to on the go. Food is an important part of community, and community means a variety of spaces, so a way to discuss food that is inherently mobile is a great thing (especially if someone is listening to your podcast on their way to get organic produce or go to lo a local landmark). I think I may have suggested this in class, but I think for something like food (and in order to make your project multi-modal) there should be something visual, in order to display the food. Some podcasts film their episodes for web content, that might be a good way to go. Other than that, good luck! There will always be some moving parts, it’s good that you have recognized that.