My Basic Pitch

When drafting my pitch, I was worried that I didn’t have a specific enough plan to share. Coming into class, I honestly thought my idea was horrible and that I would very well trash the whole thing. I wasn’t sure where I would want it published, exactly what mediums would be used or even what underlying theme I would explore specifically. I kind of just threw it all out there (get it…pitching…threw it out there…feel free to laugh). Luckily, this ambiguity served as a platform for some of my fellow writers to help me brainstorm ideas for where to take this venture.

Some inspiration from Queen Amy.
Some inspiration from Queen Amy.

Affirmations in general are always great when it comes to brainstorming artistic projects. I tend to overthink myself a lot, and end up throwing out a lot of good ideas before I give them a fair chance. A humorous memoir-ish reflection on college was definitely one of those ideas that I initially threw out. I thought people wouldn’t want to read about me because my life in college was pretty mundane and, frankly, boring. But then, after thinking about it a little more after pitching, I realized how this “boringness” could supply some of the humor of the piece. Classmates seemed to react positively when I suggested following the structure of “auto-biographies” written by comedians (like Amy Poehler and Mindy Kaling’s books, which were

really popular last year) that aren’t necessarily memoris, but moreso humorous quips on various aspects of their lives. Overall, hearing a positive reaction of any sort to this idea gave me the confidence I needed to decide not to throw it out, like I do with so many of my ideas.

One of my favorite suggestions was to broaden the scope of my topic and include interviews with some of my fellow college students to get a wider perspective and reflection on the idea of transition. My experiences are limited, since I’m only one person at one university in one major. But, if I can reach out to different types of people for interviews, content ideas, etc., I think I could attract a wider range of audience members.

Now, the shape of my project seems to have more clarity from affirmations on ideas I had previously made as well as

As the great Shia Labeouf said (many times), "Just do it."
As the great Shia Labeouf said (many times), “Just do it.”

brand new ideas. Walking out of class, my confidence was definitely boosted and I felt like I actually knew which road to take for the project. Now I just have to narrow the scope a bit more, choose a potential publication (which will help in defining the audience), and actually do it.

One thought to “My Basic Pitch”

1. Hey Allison,

I’m glad you felt more confident after pitching your project to the class, because I LOVE your idea. When we met in a small group, we discussed how part of what made the stories Mindy, Amy, and Tina wrote so funny was that they wrote about kind of “stupid” things. I think that dramatizing and adding humor to seemingly mundane daily events or stories can elevate those stories to something hilarious. Maybe starting by interviewing your friends and finding commonalities between their college experiences could be a good place for you to start? You could synthesize those stories into funny anecdotes and in doing so, you may narrow in on the proper publication venue for your material.

I am also having trouble on deciding on a publication venue for my project, but something that’s helped me narrow in has been considering the length, mix of multimedia/text, and visual appeal that different mediums afford. Could that be helpful to you?

Good luck! Excited to hear more about your project as it progresses 🙂

Sarah