Well damn, guess I’m not the only one

Thank god these advice posts exist. Honestly, I’m so glad I read through them. I’m a ‘minimal work’ sort of person, so I don’t know that I would have read them without this assignment, but I would have missed out on just the assurance I need. We’ve only written a few things for the gateway class so far, but I was already starting to feel overwhelmed. Ironically, the lack of instructions was overwhelming me. I like freedom as much as the next person, but I was beginning to question if I was a good enough writer to come up with creative and engaging writing all based on what I want to talk about- not what anyone else tells me to. In Rebecca Soverinsky’s post, after I was drawn in be her incredibly witty title “Blog 12: Closing Time One Last Call for Alcoh… **Advice”, she made me feel like I deserve to be here. It’s okay if I don’t know what I’m doing yet, or if trying to seem like a sophisticated writer makes me feel like I’m in the middle of the classic dream where you forget to wear pants on the first day of school. She proved to me that I’ll figure it out; most people in the class are in the same pants-less boat as I am.

Combine that with Emily Cotten’s post “Unsolicited Advice”, and I feel rejuvenated. These two students reminded me of why I signed up for this in the first place. Rebecca woke me up to the fact that this was NOT a requirement. I signed up for this because I want to become a better writer, and I’m excited for the chance to push myself. Emily essentially told me to shut up and stop worrying so much, because this class is supposed to be a break from the stress. It’s an opportunity to work hard at something that I WANT to work on, not something I have to work on.

I also love Rebecca’s use of a gif (who doesn’t love Tangled, c’mon), and how her tone is friendly and informal- she sounds like a real person my age as opposed to a teacher lecturing on the benefits of the course. Emily’s post stood out to me because of the organization. She used a numbered list and bold sentences to make it impossible to miss her key points. They jump out at you from the page, and it’s much easier to understand and relate to them.