A Confusing Evolution…

When I first read the part of the syllabus regarding the capstone project, and when I first walked into Ray’s office to discuss the project for that matter, I thought, “Cool – I’ll get to write a story.” Where I stand now is attempting to discern an immensely intricate mathematic and scientific theory, while at the same time trying to incorporate that theory into the process of writing fiction itself – something to my knowledge nobody has ever done before. Let me explain…

I knew from the beginning I wanted to write about determinism, randomness, and the so-called “Butterfly Effect.” I also knew I wanted to write fiction. Having already written a pretty…how should I call it…a pretty shitty short story revolving around the concepts, my initial idea was to re-write the story in hope of making a non-shitty version. I knew the concepts and ideas were there – but the execution was off. However, as I soon learned this was not truly an option, as mere “creative writing” was not on the suggested table. Too easy, I guess.

So, in my lovely sit-down with Ray, I remember him saying something along the lines of, “What if you used randomness to talk about randomness?” Now, if you find yourself confused at this point, do not worry – this is normal. I was too (I still kind of am). Essentially, in addition to writing a more intricate version of the story, revolving around the same themes of determinism and randomness, I will be using a random plot generator with varying degrees to “randomly select” parts of the story. Therefore, through this methodology, I am both discussing chaos theory (that’s the name for all this stuff) explicitly through its principles discussed in the plot itself, and implicitly though implementing it into the act of writing fiction.

Still confused? Good.