An internet search is a vortex

My mom always used to use this quote by Albert Einstein, “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”

She said it when I would get frustrated building with Legos as a child or putting in the wrong iTunes gift card code when I got my first iPod. She would probably say it again now if she noticed how many times I check to see if I got my tax return back. Every 10 minute check is basically poking it, saying “give me more money!”

And I realize that my search results have a lot to do with what I don’t have a lot of right now, but is supposedly slowly on its way — money.

But a lot of the searches seemed to end up pointless. I searched for flowers for Valentine’s Day when the shop will be closed on Sunday, LCD Soundsystem tickets when they haven’t even announced their tour dates yet, and what I could be making this summer if I miraculously get an internship I’ve applied for. The crazy thing is that I’ve searched these things in the past. And I still decided to search it again to see if anything would change. Nope.

Insanity.

Among other searches were articles on the Michigan Daily to check out my friends’ work, see if anyone commented on mine, who the Panthers backup QB is, what movie Tom Cruise is in where he doesn’t look like Tom Cruise (it’s Tropic Thunder), No More Parties in LA, among many other pointless searches and click-baited Rolling Stone articles.