Capstone project ROI

I think I speak for a number of us when I say that I am afraid that, simply because I am so invested in my Capstone topic, that anything short of full effort and successful completion will hurt all the more. The failure will not be a B paper, but a disservice to the vision. In turn, I am afraid to start, fearful that the intentions behind my project will be as good as it gets. The stakes are higher, and I’m looking for an equally high return.

With that in mind, I think personal investment will serve me, and the lot of us, in the long run. In other words, I will look to use that fear of failure to prevent it. Sure, it may come together in April, but it will come together. I hope further that this project will be something I can execute to its full capacity down the road — given the utopian world of unlimited time and resources we discussed in class. I’ll include it in my memoir one day. When I have the time.

Which brings me to my next fear…time. I am a second semester senior who works out twice a day and watches plenty of Netflix. But I am also working for a major corporation three days a week, trying to find a job for after school, looking forward to a spring break. These are daily distractions that make it hard to jump into research and writing. In the interim, I cannot get myself to write my writer’s evolution second draft, not out of procrastination but out of a whole host of fears that aren’t worth mentioning here.

So I’ve resolved myself to turning the calendar. Looking at March, I plan to hold myself accountable to blocks of time out of my apartment where I will work on the Capstone project. In theory, the more time I block the better the result.? I was never any good at Econ 101, so who knows.

2 thoughts to “Capstone project ROI”

1. Hey Erin!

I completely relate to about 99.9% of what you wrote in this blog post…you really put it in all down in words perfectly. I have also had a fairly hard time “getting started” even after successfully completing my Project Proposal, and although I have had this thought before, after reading your post I am fairly confident it is because I just am scared. I am scared of falling short of anything less than absolute perfection, and I know that when it comes down to it, there is no one else I will be able to blame but myself. But again, I think you said it perfectly – we need to use fear of failure to prevent that very situation from happening, use it as inspiration.
    Similar to how you put it, I also have a fairly hectic schedule and am finding it hard to sneak small bits of time in to work on this project. My belief is that once I get started, and I mean actually start doing this huge ‘thing’ I’ve now been planning for over a month, I’ll not only be able to fit it in my schedule easier, but I will be excited to do so. Also, I think I may rearrange my schedule to be like yours (see I really did resonate with this blog post). I think I may work more efficiently if I space out a fewer amount of longer time periods to work on this project than vice versa….hm. I guess I will try that out and see how it goes.

I know typically I am supposed to offer you advice in these comments, but really, this blog post helped me! So, thank you!

2. Hi Erin,

Like Mollie, I can definitely relate to pretty much everything you’re talking about here. Having thought so much about this giant project thing, it’s kind of scary to actually get started. I’m pretty confident with my idea and concept and what not, but I can’t help this constant sinking thought of, “What if it sucks?” I really like how you said you’re going to try to use that fear of failure to prevent it – in the end I think for pretty much all of us we’ll have put so much work and effort into the projects that failure will be a fairly unlikely outcome.

Like you, it’s hard for me to block out time to completely devote to the project. I have a full course load, as well as a part-time job three days per week too (and an avid Netflix viewer as well) so I completely get it can be difficult to find the time we need to piece this thing together. What I’m planning to do is set 30-45 minute windows four to five times per week to specifically spend on writing. I’ll put the phone away, turn off my brain from everything else, and just see what happens. But, no matter what strategy we choose to take, I think it’ll actually be somewhat less stressful once we get into it.

See you on Tuesday!

Jeff