Community > Everything

Throughout college, I’ve struggled to figure out who I am and what I’m passionate about. My resume is all over the place because I’ve done so many unrelated activities (i.e. singing, writing, gymnastics coaching—to name a few), and I often worry that employers won’t know what to make of me. One common theme, however, ties everything in my life together: community. Every meaningful activity I’ve ever done has made an impact on me because of the people involved. Maybe it’s the burnt-out, second-semester senior side of me talking now, but I genuinely feel like I don’t care what I spend the rest of my life doing, as long as I’m working with great people in a supportive environment.

Given my love of community, I wanted to do a project that focused on a specific community I’m involved in: Markley Dining Hall. From the day I started my first shift in October, I could tell there was something really special about the work environment. Unlike most of the other dorms on campus, Markley has never been closed for renovation, allowing several professional dining staff members to stay in Markley for 10+ years. Because the dining hall is small, staff members have an opportunity to bond in ways that might not be possible in South Quad or Mojo. I guess what I’m most curious about is what role community plays in each worker’s motivation to stay—do the workers stay for the atmosphere or just as a way to pay the bills? If the community is important, what is it about the community that is so special to them?

I think my personality will influence what questions I ask during my interviews. I asked one of my best friends to describe me, and the results are below:

As I wrote to my friend, it was weird hearing someone say all those nice things about me. I’ve heard other people call me insightful before, though, so maybe that descriptor is accurate and can help me with my project. I’m hoping as I get to know each worker better, I can start asking insightful questions that allow them to really reflect on the community they’re in.

Let me know what you all think!

Annie Humphrey

Boston, MA native. Senior BCN major with premed focus. I love singing, writing, and having meaningful conversations with people.

3 thoughts to “Community > Everything”

1. Hi Annie,

Don’t sell yourself short. Every experience you’ve had has made you better in some way and that’s all employers care about. Unless you want to be in business.

Anyways, your project sounds cool and you seem passionate about it. I’m sure the answers you receive will be incredibly interesting and I only wonder how you will format your final project in the end. Lets talk about that more! Start with really open ended questions and dig deeper and deeper. It works.

Jason

2. Hey Annie,
    Insightful seems a perfect descriptor for you. Just reading how you came to the conclusion that community is what you value most in the workplace illustrates that. You seem genuinely interested to see if everyone else has a similar experience with community in the workplace, and that will provide a great driving force for you to ask some insightful questions. I think once you start talking to people about the things that really interest you, you’ll find a great direction to take your project. I’m excited to see what you end up doing.

Also, you mentioned in class that when you think about community, you think about a fireplace, or a fire that everyone sits around. It would be interesting to see if you could develop this into your portfolio somehow. It seems like most people wouldn’t think of that when they think community.

Kristen

3. Hey Annie,

Just as Kristen (and your friends) said, insightful is a perfect description of you. I wouldn’t really have found singing or writing to link back to community since they are normally solo activities, and I think it is awesome that you were able to find a community in every activity that you loved. As for your portfolio, I am so excited to see how you incorporate a sense of community into it. I definitely think there are a thousand different directions you could take that. Maybe you could organize your work based on the communities in your life they are relevant to? Or even just making your home page make everyone feel so welcoming that the reader instantly feels part of something bigger (like a puzzle piece…wow that was a lame joke, but you all commented puzzle puns on mine, so I had to incorporate one to you as well).

I am really looking forward to seeing the type of answers you get, and think that even just the rough notes you take could be an interesting piece of your project to post to compare it to whatever you decide the final format should be.

See you in class,
    Amy