Not yet a terrible draft

I have a clear focus and goal for my project. I know what I want to do, I’m just having a really hard time doing it. I’ve read several reviews, and I’ve gotten inspired, but every time I sit down to write something of my own, I don’t know where to start.

To remind you all, I’m writing a review of sorts on the novel If on a winter’s night a traveler, by Italo Calvino. At first, I wanted it to be a commentary on postmodernism (the style in which the book is written), but after reading many academic sources, trying to understand this concept, I realized that I did not want to tackle something so theoretical and big. So I’ve moved away from postmodernism and related theories, and I’m focusing more on the book itself.

I want to convince you to read it.

After reading some┬áreviews, by the likes of David Mitchell and Salman Rushdie, to name a few, I’ve become more inclined to write about my own reading experience. I want to use myself as a lens through which you all can see this book. I also want to include the commentary of different reviewers or authors, as that is something that I’ve seen done repeatedly in this genre. As I was reading these pieces, I agreed and disagreed with certain points, and I want to clarify or expand on some of the claims that other reviewers have made.

I have a lot of goals, but I can’t exactly put my finger on a final vision. I think I need to write down a terrible, terrible draft, and then go from there. I’m getting caught up in writing paragraphs that “don’t sound good,” but I need to focus on getting the content smoothed out before I worry about its presentation.

This is harder than I thought.

2 thoughts to “Not yet a terrible draft”

1. Hey Emily,
    I logged onto the blog website & your post was at the very top so I read the first few lines and they really caught my attention. I clicked on your post and read the rest & I just wanted to say I feel the exact same way! I’ve narrowed down my idea of what I’m doing but I totally relate to what you said about not being able to put your finger on a “final vision”. This is a lot harder than I thought too! I’ve tried writing some things but they just don’t seem to achieve what I thought I was going for.
    Anyways, just thought I’d vent & let you know you’re not alone in your frustrations ­čÖé

2. Hey Emily!

I honestly already want to read the book. After listening to you talk about it, I want to sit down and try to understand this book. The book itself is already curious enough to draw people in. I think maybe you can focus instead on motivating people to get through it. For me, it doesn’t take much to convince me to start a book. The difficult part is finishing it. And Calvino, while interesting and different, sounds tough to get through. Maybe you could work on convincing people that it’s worth it to get through?

Just a suggestion! Do what feels right!

-Regina