post-production plan plan

“What’s your project about then?” (in Mandarin)

Next to a court at CCRB where four kids are having an intense double match of badminton, I’ve found myself struggling to explain my capstone project in Mandarin to this kid whom I’ve just met. “It’s about cultural differences amongst the mainland China, Taiwan, and Hong Kong”.

That was enough to bring a moment of suspense before our match.  Sensitive topic. I get that. And then off we went, starting our game in an open court.

I couldn’t deny that I love putting things in order. As much as I felt conflicted about the many tiny decisions that would add up to be my capstone project as I finished off the production plan, I am excited that I have a sense of direction to look forward to, a number of components I could pinpoint to, and the level of standard I hope to achieve…except this sense of satisfaction lasted for a night and then I confused myself again: I was hesitant towards the outcome of the capstone project or more precisely, I was unsure whether how much in the production plan I would be able to achieve. This was mainly because

1) I realized that I have a total of eight components in my production plan (“Really? What was I really thinking? EIGHT components?”)

2) Half of the components are products I had zero experience in, including an oral history, a film editing, and several artifact analysis. (“What if the person kept rambling on random things during the interview? Should I stop or not stop him / her? How should I phrase my questions? What kind of tech tools do I need?”)

3) Since we are reverse engineering, I’ve found myself care about the outlook of the final project site a great deal. I want it to encompass a theme, interact with the audience in a dynamic way, and aesthetically beautiful…meaning I could spend countless hours coding a web app.

Well. I went through this series of concerns, questions, and exercise of my imagination of million possible scenarios in my mind for a 15 minute and then force myself to go play badminton to keep my mind off. I came back to these with some action steps:

1. prioritize components (quality > quantity)
  2. start doing (looking at different artists’ and writers’ personal websites and the web building platform to see what kinds of features are feasible)
  3. start targeting possible interviewees (utilize the Spring Break time efficiently)

After all, I guess what’s unique about this project is the fact that we get to reverse engineer while make some discoveries in the process. Pursuing something predictable while being flexible with the unpredictable. I know my action-oriented side will get on my nerve at one point and overwhelm myself with all the doings and forget the essence of the capstone project is discovery and creativity in the process itself. So I guess for now, I just need to be extremely short-sighted and have one step at a time (and I’ve decided to join the badminton club and go work out daily to develop a routine in my schedule.)

3 thoughts to “post-production plan plan”

1. Hello Gabrielle! I really appreciate your concerns for not having any experience in many of your project components because frankly, I feel the same way about mine. The question of, “How am I supposed to do something that I have no idea how to do?” is both a slightly disconcerting and bothersome question, at that. However, as I work through this (in regards to my own project, anyway), I find myself thinking about how demonstrating this inability as a learning process might help fix these problems. And at the very least, if I am unable to do/perform certain abilities at the present, then hopefully my description of learning about them will be sufficient enough to bridge this gap.

2. Hi Gabrielle,

I think you’re touching on something that is a concern for a lot of other people, some of whom have articulated it as well. We all have these great ideas for elements we want to include and how we wish to include them in our projects, but time, level of expertise and resources limit our ability to create what me may consider our “ideal project”. I happen to think my project would best be presented entirely in video format, as a sort of documentary. And because I’m not attempting to do that, I sometimes feel like I’m overcompensating by trying to include so many different ideas and elements in my project. You pointed out something really important: quality > quantity. Some elements are necessary and some are not. Some elements can be incorporated really well and others cannot. Some elements will make a big impact and others not so much. These are the types of things that should determine what we each include.

3. Gabbi (Gabby?),

I feel excited about the direction your capstone project is taking, especially since the last time I heard anything about your project, it was the first or second day of the semester, and we were all blindly fumbling around in the dark. Congrats on finishing your production plan!

Your last paragraph, specifically, “I know my action-oriented side will get on my nerve at one point and overwhelm myself with all the doings and forget the essence of the capstone project is discovery and creativity in the process itself,” struck a chord with me. Even in developing the production plan, I found myself losing track of the discovery and creativity aspects of the project, wanting to make the “perfect” schedule and stick exactly to it for the next few months. I’m still slightly fixated on what I imagine the project to be in my head, and I don’t want to be. I want to stick to my plan and accomplish my goals but not silence the potential creativity or new ideas that may happen as I actually work on my content.

Thanks for helping me refocus!