Post-Storyboard-Peer-Review Feelings

Above is a link to a live recording of one of the two possible songs that I intend to use in my final video project. The other song, from the same album, is linked in a previous post of mine. Feel free to listen as you read, but watch too because the complexity that goes into orchestrating the song is remarkable. It’s a complexity similar to organizing a capstone project.

Beginning my storyboard meant digging for some good resources related to the Fight for 15 and the history of labor movements in America, which my project is interested in. This process pushed me to a point where I can actually begin construction of my video. In fact, as of a few minutes ago, there is now an iMovie project on my computer titled “Capstone FF15.” This is a big deal. But I digress, my storyboard took the shape of a 15-page word document filled with images that map out the chronology of my soon-to-be video. The first 8 or so show important historical labor actions, ranging from the mid-1800s up until the late 1990s. The next chunk of photos showcase Fight for 15 protests and rallies taking place in major cities across the country. The final few pictures–and these are the most important–are of workers speaking publicly about adversity they face living on the current minimum wage. Most of these people are parents and all of them speak with a great deal of honesty and emotion. These photographs are screenshots I took from brief videos posted to Fight for 15’s YouTube channel. These personal testimonies will be indescribably valuable for my video. Ultimately, this is a project I am undertaking for disenfranchised workers, so it stands to reason that these folks ought to have the center stage in my piece. The center stage will be represented by the climax of the song–the strongest emotional moment.

Today in class, we peer reviewed our storyboards/mock-ups. I was a bit anxious because I took a sort of unconventional approach: what I created served my purposes well, though it did not exactly fit the criteria for a textbook storyboard. Nonetheless, my blog group members provided me with a great deal of encouragement. I was affirmed that these still images alone were enough to evoke a strong emotional response. This comment helped push me to the point of beginning construction of my video. Constructive feedback came as a suggestion to more thoroughly explain the historical bits of narrative that I showed in images. This is perfectly sensible because people tend to have a fairly poor recollection of American history, in general–as do I,–let alone the specifics of important labor actions. I hope to interview a labor-savvy history professor and include audio of his or her tellings to include in my video. I feel this will be much more effective than myself speaking since this is a part of the topic that I’m not very knowledgable about. Further, talking with someone more knowledgeable on the history of labor could help me think of interesting ideas I might have otherwise ignored.

Overall, I’m feeling confident in my project and my passion for helping disenfranchised folks continues to push me towards creating the best product.

2 thoughts to “Post-Storyboard-Peer-Review Feelings”

1. Hi JP,
    I think it’s impressive that you actually started the project! (That is something I have yet to do.) Your storyboard was very helpful in starting to visualize where you are going with the piece, and I found that a lot of the images spoke for themselves, which will help you evoke emotion in the piece. I think once you get in contact with a professor to get audio, you’ll pretty much be there!
    Allison

2. Hi JP!

I loved looking through your storyboard. While I think the addition of narrative and “expert” testimony will add an element of clarity and credibility, I think these images are powerful and do a pretty good job of telling a story on their own. I am curious if you are going to interview a professor at UMich or someone outside of here, and if that same person will narrate the video. Narration is a pretty big time commitment and important sensory element of the piece, so I think it’s important that you’re choosy in what’s being said and who says it.

You are so ahead of the game with that iMovie already in creation and I can’t wait it to see it begin to take shape!

Sarah