Production Plan Complete

So, production plan complete – cool. The hard part now is following it. I’ve had plenty of plans in the past that haven’t gone, well…according to plan. This one time I came up with an intricate plan to eat healthier in preparation for my high school basketball season. I made a day-by-day schedule with exact foods, portions, recipes – the whole nine yards. After spending quite a bit of time on this plan, including a fair amount of research, it lasted about five days until a couple of my friends asked if I wanted to join them at Chipotle (I did). So, the question remains, how can I go about not repeating this same mistake? How can I stick to the plan – what could be the potential “delicious burrito” of this project? I know things won’t go exactly accordingly – they’ll be some bumps in the road – but I desperately need to avoid this terrible tendency I have to procrastinate.

On to what I’m most confident in. I’m most assured of my concept – that it’s interesting, has merit, and will translate pretty well into fiction writing. I won’t get into it in-depth, but I’m writing about chaos theory/randomization and the effects it has on everyday life. The more I think about it, and the more research I do, the more fascinated I am by it. So – that’s good. On to the worries. I haven’t really thought about it that much (is this a good or bad thing?), but I think I’m most worried I won’t come up with a ¬†good plot and interesting characters to represent the concept I’m writing about. An idea can only take you so far, I think, before execution becomes paramount.

I think I just have to start writing and we’ll go from there. Well…the All-Star Game is on tonight. Maybe tomorrow…

2 thoughts to “Production Plan Complete”

1. Jeff,

Like most of our peers (probably), I, too, am most nervous about sticking to a stringent schedule. It sounds like you are writing a story of sorts, which, like composing music, the essence of my project, is a tumultuous process. It’e very unlikely that the original plan will remain intact for the duration of the project, nor the tasks and weekly objectives you have set for yourself. What you’re doing is certainly more scientifically involved than my project, and may have more tangible/obvious milestones. Musical composition, however, is less formulaic – and if there is one, it’s almost certainly ONE musician’s idiosyncratic method – and follows less of a timeline.

Your fascination with the subject is certainly positive. I would recommend you maintain your enthusiasm for the subject by constructively wandering from your schedule now and again. What I mean is that it is possible to draw inspiration from anywhere, so allowing yourself to mentally, or physically, peregrinate to other subjects might supply you with surprising ideas. Sometimes the delicious burrito is just what you need.

2. Hi Jeff,

First of all, I love the burrito analogy. Have you ever had a Mission-style burrito? I’m from the San Francisco Bay Area, and now all I can think about is how good they are. If you haven’t had one, and you get the chance, jump on it.

Anyways, burritos are not really the point of this comment. It’s definitely fair to be worried about coming up with a good plot and engaging characters, and then you’re also adding the layer of getting them to illustrate your investigations into chaos theory. I don’t have a lot of knowledge on writing fiction, but what I do know is that your best writing will come from re-writing. (Original-thought-credit: Prof. John Rubadeau.) The sooner you get started on building your plot and your characters, the more time you’ll have to re-work and re-work and re-work them.

I also wonder whether or not your investigations into chaos theory might end up being mini-burritos. Like taquitos or something. Do you know how far into your research on this topic you want to go?

Looking forward to seeing how this starts to take shape! Best of luck.
    -Rachel