Production…Plan?

Alright, so I finished this thing. I’m pretty satisfied with how it turned out! I have essentially every component figured out, save one or two smaller parts:

-Every day for a month, I’m going to write a few stanzas of poetry once I am done practicing.

-In 3-week segments, I will research and produce essays on specific topics related to the implicit ideas of the poetry.

-Each component will be showcased on separate pages f my portfolio.

As far as stuff I don’t have as much of a handle on:

-I want to write music to reflect the poetry every week. I think this will be an unaccompanied tuba solo. What I’m not sure about is how to describe the process, whether I should augment it with any research or OTHER essays. I’m also not entirely sure if it will be an effective component of the project. Perhaps it can be combined with a voice-over of me reading the poems? They could then have a direct relationship to each other, and this may clarify the parts of the music that reflect certain things in the poetry.

OK I think that’s it so plshalpkthxbai

3 thoughts to “Production…Plan?”

1. Hey Evan! I really like the idea of writing music as a means of producing poetry, especially for someone coming from a musical background (if I am remembering correctly I thought you were a music major, my apologizes if I am completely wrong!). One of the things that I’m currently grappling with in my project is how to produce lyrics for a written composition, and after thinking about it, the only way I could really see myself doing it was by writing poetry. It would be completely backwards from what you are doing, but I think it would work largely to the same effect. I think there’s a really interesting link between poetry and song writing so I’m glad to see you’re looking at in much of the same way as I am.

2. Hi Evan,

I, like you, have certain aspects of my project that are well planned out from week to week but also am toying with elements that are not so well-defined. In your case, I love the idea of turning your poems into music. I think as you begin that process, it will become clearer how to present that process in your project. Most likely, you are going to have to do some research in order to create music out of your poems (although, maybe not if that is something you are practiced at). The point is, I don’t think it’s so much including research in your project as a means of describing your process as it is using research as a means of completing that process. And if you are doing research in order to complete that process, I think it will be important to include in the final project. I’m really looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

3. Hello Evan! I’m glad to hear someone is doing poetry!! I’ve always wanted to read others’ poetry works and poetry with music just sound so fun. Regarding about your process, I’m just going to throw in some ideas. Feel free to take it or leave it. I imagine if you are doing music and a voice over of reading the poetry, the audience would mainly rely on their audio sense so in that case, you could use something more visual such as notes on scrap papers and pictures of them to make a gif of how the poetry goes from first draft to final draft. Also, you mentioned that you want to showcase the direct relationship between poetry and music. I think in that, you could also use silence (poetry with music vs. poetry without music) to highlight the effects of that combination to the readers. Last thought: why tuba? I think there is something unique with tuba being the lowest-pitched instrument in the brass family (from my memory). It would be interesting to the audience to see the decision behind your choice of musical instrument too!