Research For Project II

I am transforming my reflective narrative about my experience in a wheelchair into an academic essay about able-bodied privilege. Allan Johnson and Peggy McIntosh employed an interesting writing technique in their separate excerpts about white privilege, male privilege, and heterosexual privilege. They made lists of things that you can do or assume if you are in one of these privileged groups.

I have begun my research by looking at McIntosh’s “White Privilege Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack” and Allan Johnson’s Privilege Power and Difference. I am interested in how I can adapt their lists to create my own about able-bodied privilege. I also like how they both included some background into their essays before the list, and that is something I would like to do as well.

http://www.beyondwhiteness.com/2012/02/18/peggy-mcintosh-white-privilege-unpacking-the-invisible-knapsack/

3 thoughts to “Research For Project II”

1. Hi Meredith! These pieces that you mentioned in proposal seem like a great place to start— it’s awesome that you already know of a few articles that utilize the exact format you want to mirror. What other pieces of research are you planning on using though? What direction are you going to go from here? Now that you’ve found articles organized in a way you like, you could try finding articles with content that would be relevant to your piece (about able-bodied privilege or difficulties of being handicapped)

2. Meredith,

Sounds like a pretty solid place to start your research process. I think looking at McIntosh and Johnson’s pieces is a really good idea, because I’m doing the same thing to get a sense of how I should construct my project and that’s been helpful. Just curious, are you planning on writing a list about able-bodied privilege or writing a more structured essay? Also, I’m not sure if McIntosh/Johnson already gave you an idea of this, but you should definitely look into some type of template you could use to repurpose your original narrative (like a sociological journal template or something).

3. Hey Meredith! Your remediation project sounds very interesting. The experience of being in a wheelchair obviously seems like a story that means a lot to you, which I think will make for a great remediation. I like your idea of writing about white privilege. I have read Peggy McIntosh’s piece that you are interested in looking into, so it already sounds like you are headed in the right direction. Have you read Tal Fortgang’s piece, Checking My Privilege: Character as the Basis of Privilege? I know his piece has circled the media much in the past years and it could be something to look at as you begin research on your topic.