Shots in the dark at remediation

Since my project for repurposing is a poem, my first idea for remediation would be to perform it as a slam poem. I’m not sure what the venue would be, maybe performing it at a poetry slam or filming myself reciting it and posting it on YouTube. My second idea would be to slightly change the tone of performance and rapping it while adding beats and other instrumentals in the background. The problems to this are: 1. The poem doesn’t rhyme and I’m not sure how it would flow as a musical piece and 2. I can’t rap. Well, I can recite mostly all the words to Kanye’s Yeezus and My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy albums, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that this is a task I am capable of performing well. My third idea for remediation would be to make a photo collage of scenes of the Flint Water Crisis. I would prefer to take my own photos, but since the heat of the crisis is starting to die down and certain parts of the beginning like when water bottles weren’t even being delivered would be lost. It could be cool to put pictures side by side to scenes from other natural or economic disasters as a comparison to this tragic event and my frustration with it.

One thought to “Shots in the dark at remediation”

1. Chris,
    I may be biased, but I love the idea of a slam poem. (I am biased— I adore slam poetry and the environment that poetry slams create. I digress). Poetry and slam poetry are distinct genres, and reworking your piece in a way that’s meant to be spoken will inevitably add a certain amount of life and poignancy that simply cannot be captured on the page alone.

I’m especially love the idea of you actually performing your work at a community poetry slam. In the digital age, so many of our cultural texts are pre-recorded and carefully edited to maintain some sort of superficial/technological perfection; performing at a poetry slam—a decidedly analogue moment—would be a move to embrace a really special sort of rawness. I haven’t had a chance to read your repurposing poem (I hope I can soon!), but I gather that your poem speaks to a community (Flint) that means a lot to you; the poetry slam itself might rebuild a similar supportive community.

Or it may not, and that might be a new jumping off point. If you wanted to take the idea a step further, I think writing an additional poem to reflect on the act of performance itself would be incredible: what is it like to stand up in front of strangers and share something personal? What does it mean when your community enters a national political discourse? In any case, I’m excited to see where you take this! (And, if a poetry slam is in order and our class is invited, I’ll know I’ll be there cheering you on!)