Stay Learning (on the Internet)

I deleted my browsing history last Thursday afternoon and can now reflect on all the places I’ve surfed over this extended weekend. The first site I see myself repeatedly checking is Ctools, which makes sense because I was waiting for my biochem exam grade to come out all of Thursday and Friday. The Ctools Gradebook page was clearly a top hit for the first part of this experiment–until Friday morning when the scores were released.

Two sites that I often look up are Facebook and Vox. I did not need this weekend’s experiment to show me that I consistently check these sites. At the beginning of this year, I deleted my twitter and Instagram, deciding that I needed to minimize being distracted on social media. That left me only with Faceboook, so since its really my only form of social media distraction, I go there probably almost every time I open up my laptop. I realize this can be a bad habit. One way I can disrupt this Facebook habit is to always keep the tab open on my computer. As a way for me to avoid re-opening my Facebook page, every time a notification comes up I can always see it that way. I use similar logic for keeping my imessage app open on my computer at all times: by being able to see if a I receive a message on my computer, it prevents me from unnecessarily checking my phone.

I can also see from my weekend’s browsing history that I searched for Vox at least once a day. I have been reading Vox, especially during this time of year, because I enjoy learning about the presidential primary election. In my opinion, Vox delivers the most concise, straightforward, and most importantly not-boring, news articles about the election. I like to generally keep up with politics; even when the article is not discussing the election, Vox provides good news about what is going on in the government. Finally, because it was Super Bowl weekend, I was on nfl.com, bleacher report, and other sports news sites. I found that this Super Bowl was filled with questions and controversies surrounding Cam Newton: why did he leave the newsroom? why didn’t he recover his fumble? why was he so targeted on twitter for his “lousy” performance? In all, I enjoyed reading about the different opinions I found on those sports sites this weekend.

One thought to “Stay Learning (on the Internet)”

1. Very cool that you look at Vox considering we looked at it in class for a lesson. I liked the layout of the site too. Hope you looked at ESPN too for the Super Bowl.