The Workshop Report

None of my group members were able to make it to the workshop, so I discussed my sketch draft and intro with Shelley. Coming into the workshop, my draft was pretty rough. It’s difficult to make a draft or a storyboard of a podcast that involves interviews. Most of my introduction consisted of questions that I am planning to ask my interviewees.

1. What was the most helpful aspect of this workshop? Why/how? The most helpful aspect of this workshop was getting some sources from Shelley and also a second opinion on what kinds of questions I should ask the people I interview.
  2. How are you feeling about this project now as compared to when you came into the workshop? Why? When I came into the workshop, I felt unsure about if my questions were good, and pretty lost when it comes to what I want my introduction to be. However, after leaving I got some new interview questions, and also validation that the questions I asked were good ones. I also got some useful direction as to where to go with the introduction.
  3. What is the most appropriate/effective role of further research now in getting you to your complete rough draft?  I really think right now that I need to delve into the technical language about creating a podcast. Shelley referred me to a book about audio reporting made by NPR, so I will start reading that as soon as it comes in from the library. She also emailed me some tips on interviewing people, which will also be useful research to apply to my conversations I have coming up. I realized this is what I need to do because I conduct my first interview in the week after spring break, and if I do not have a good grasp on how to record, it will be wasted time.
  4. What is the series of next steps (be as specific as possible!) that will take you to the complete working draft? I need to call the MLB media center about reserving equipment and learning how to use it, contact T Hetzel about how to conduct a successful interview, ask Margot and Harry for their time to interview them, read that NPR book (or at least skim it), start recording, and then start editing!