Analyzing Audiences

When I’m writing, I think that it’s too easy to get carried away with what you want to include, and not necessarily think about your audience. In short, it’s easy to be selfish–and with writing, I find myself constantly being selfish. Too often I don’t necessarily think about the audience when making decisions, but instead, only considering what I think should be included. That needs to change.

Since my eport is actually going to be online, and shocker, lots of people will have access to it, I want to be able to cater it to a larger audience than just myself. While it would be nice to log in daily and reflect on my own writing, that’s a little unrealistic. I definitely think that our discussion today evoked a new awareness of a larger audience looking at our work, as we analyzed past eports and what their target audience looks like.

For my eport, I think that I may have a wide range of audiences: this audience includes my grandma’s friends who she will call up immediately after I publish it, my parents, my friends, and even future employers. I think that this last category is imperative, because I plan on incorporating this eport into future job applications, etc. So aside from my grandmas friends, I hope to have this eport reflect myself as a professional writer.

Each of these audience members will come with a different agenda: my friends to look at or even judge my writing, my parents and grandparents to most likely brag, and employers to get a better sense of my personality, my identity, and my voice as a whole. In this sense, employers or professionals in general will expect to see well written work with a purpose, rather than an array of random thoughts. I’m not quite sure if there is a specific tone that would be expected within my work, but whatever tone the writing takes, for it to be strong and again, purposeful. If I take on a satirical tone, there should effective reasoning behind that satire and an overall argument. Overall for all of my audiences, I think that behind all of my writing there should be some kind of argument, idea, or overarching theme apparent rather than jibber jabber.

When your writing has a clear purpose, it’s tough to say what should or should not be seen within this writing. Possibly for employees, anything too political or controversial may raise flags depending on the organization. I don’t tend to write anything too extreme, I would say, so I doubt that would be an issue. Sometimes I worry that for audiences, any kind of sarcasm could be misconstrued and taken the wrong way–which I think is something risky for any audience, and could be a real turn-off for readers who don’t understand the tone.

After reading my eport, I would like all audiences to recognize the work that I have put into each of my artifacts. I hope that after reading, individuals will be able to identity my overall identity as a writer, along with my voice and personality through my writing. While I think that any audience is important, as I mentioned before, I do hope to use this eport in the future for professional endeavors–so I am probably trying to impress potential employers the most, sorry mom. But I think for my eport to be affective, it needs to appeal to a wide range of audiences, including myself. I know that if I am happy with my final product, the audience will be as well (well, I hope).

giphy