Boilerplate and Cliche Examples

When I think of examples of boilerplates, I turn to the current presidential election. It’s all over the news, comedy talk shows, and my newsfeed. Even if I didn’t want to hear about the things the presidential candidates were saying, I still would anyway. In particular, I hear republican candidates echo each other on many topics. Each of their campaigns focuses on repealing Obamacare. Moreover, elected Republican officials have been criticizing the Affordable Health Care Act for as long as I can remember. Many of them use the same templates, or boilerplates, to voice their criticisms.

In a CNN Politics article that was released on Tuesday, Ted Cruz discusses Obamacare. Here’s the link:¬†http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/24/politics/ted-cruz-obamacare/index.html

Cruz asserts: “What is problematic about Obamacare is that it is killing millions of jobs in this country and has killed millions of jobs. It has caused millions of people to lose their insurance, to lose their doctors and to face skyrocketing insurance premiums. That is unacceptable.” I think this statement qualifies as a Republican boilerplate, as the assertions that Obamacare is “killing jobs” and that it is causing people to face “skyrocketing insurance premiums” are repeatedly¬†used.

Battery advertisements always say “last longer” or, put differently, “longer lasting”; a cliche I often find that is used by battery companies. The advertisement rarely specifies what the battery is being compared to. They are implying that their battery lasts longer than other batteries or other versions of the same battery, but always neglect to make the full comparison. For example, Energizer’s slogan is that their AA battery “Now Lasts Even Longer”. Duracell boxes have written on them: “Long Lasting Power”. I think these are interesting examples of cliches used by companies to make implications, while hiding assertions, as a means to get us to buy their product.