Busy Yourself.

Opposite of many students, it would seem that the busier I get, the more productive I am. How contradicting it would seem that as you add more to my workload, the accuracy and quality increases? This is how it has always been. People are always quick to ask, “what do you do in your free time?” What free time… I respond, and they laugh, jokingly. But I am without a hint of sarcasm, for it is the truth that I don’t value free time.

I love being busy.

But the difference between myself and others is that I work and immerse myself in areas that I’m passionate about. So what others would call “free time” to destress and do what they want to do for a short period, is what I’m already doing.

All of my friends become annoyed when I tell them that I had “so much fun” at my job last night, or that I was “so intrigued” in a logical reasoning problem for my LSAT course. It’s the truth! I absolutely enjoy working 9-12 hour shifts on my feet, sitting in a classroom for 4 hours going over hundreds of LSAT questions, and attending 9AM meetings for Panhel.

However, I don’t solely choose opportunities and classes and jobs that I’m passionate about. Sometimes it can seem that something really isn’t for you, that it’s too difficult, useless for the future. But for me, I can always find a way to become passionate about something. This is because it doesn’t always have to be about me. If in this opportunity  I have the chance to benefit someone else, to make their lives better, to have them be passionate about something, that is enough for me.

Being busy doesn’t have to have a negative connotation. I love being busy, I enjoy not having free time, and I value the opportunities to work hard. It’s not a personal preference, it’s a way of looking at life.

Lexi Wung

Lexi is a senior at the University of Michigan studying Psychology with minors in Writing and Entrepreneurship. She will be joining the Teach For America Baltimore Corps after graduation to teach High School English. She will also be receiving her masters degree concurrently from Johns Hopkins.