Concealing and Revealing

In class today, the word that I was thinking about during our exercise was “homie”. It’s interesting that “homie” was the first word that popped into my mind during the exercise (to be frank, I was a little disappointed in myself and my vocabulary). Not only do I think homie is a hard difficult word to describe (i.e. what makes someone a homie and what makes someone not a homie?), but it made me consider my place in the discussion of basicity and bro-ness (I think those are the terms).

Am I basic? Am I a bro? I didn’t think so when Professor McDaniel originally asked the questions, until I realized the first word that came to mind for the exercise was homie. Maybe I do fit into a stereotype, or a category of the stereotype. Anyways, it was interesting to think about on a personal level.

I think “cute” is a word that definitely conceals and reveals meaning–in essence, there is a hidden meaning to the word, a backdoor that opens up and shows the world a different side. Calling someone cute insinuates a lack of maturity–cute isn’t beautiful, or even pretty, rather it is closer to adorable. Adorable as in your 5 year old cousin adorable. Cute is supposed to be a compliment, yet often it isn’t in our vernacular today.

Sportswriting is a field that I think doesn’t get enough credit for what it is. People think of sportswriting as just writing about sports–boxscores and such. But sportswriting is culture writing. Sports reflect our culture and our values, just because they are athletic events does not mean they are insignificant and that sportswriters aren’t as sophisticated as movie reviewers or opinion writers. Sportswriters don’t receive credit for nuance, and it is unfair.