Draft Development: Do we ever really know what we’re doing?

For my draft development excercise, I chose Option 4, which was to pick a sentence from our first project draft and expand on it in 500 words. I wasn’t sure where this would take me, but I think I ended up with a pretty solid rough draft of a project conclusion:

“Essentially, college is a time when expectations are disrupted, questions are posed, and nobody really knows what they’re doing.”

For four years I’ve lived in a bubble of a college town, where I have the luxury of being surrounded by people similar to me, people different from me, and wifi pretty much everywhere I go. I’ve had the freedom to complain about things like professors and group projects, when I never really had any real problems of my own. After graduating, I’ll have to fend for myself, as my professors become bosses and group projects become everyday work. I’m shuttering at the thought.

A few weeks before graduation, one of the most common phrases you’ll hear around campus is “Oh my god, I am not ready for the real world.” These words have escaped my own mouth on multiple occasions, as I contemplate very “adult” decisions such as, “where can I get a job?,” “what’s a 401k?” and “what even constitutes ‘business casual’?” I’m not ready.

But maybe we’re never ready. At every transition point in our lives, from high school to college, from college to “adulthood,” and from wearing leggings and sweatshirts every day to having to buy actual clothes, we would rarely face these without at least an ounce of hesitation. Four years ago, possibly to this day, I was probably sitting on my bed sifting through the massive college course guide, thinking about how scary the classes looked and how I’d rather just stay at home and eat my mom’s tuna casserole forever. Still, I drove into Ann Arbor that fall and learned it as I went. When it comes to life’s turning points, maybe we all just need to relax, and start before we’re ready.

Earlier, I talked about how college is a time when nobody really knows what they’re doing. But, looking to the future, if there ever a point in our lives when we actually know what we’re doing? Sure, we can strap on a tie or a pair of matte black heels and call ourselves “professionals,” but maybe the answer isn’t as simple as that. I have no idea where I’ll be in ten years, but know that, regardless, I’ll probably still be a little confused, questioning if I made the right decisions, and making Ramen out of my microwave at least a couple of times a month. Safety and comfort are great, but too often these overlap with the mundane. If there comes a point in my life when I get trapped in a pit of repetition and same-ness, I hope I have the courage to start before I’m ready and try something new. Because we shouldn’t always know what we’re doing.

Life is unpredictable.

That’s what I learned in college.