One weakness of my writing is that I almost never consider audience while working. I usually have a prompt, my thesis, and that always seems to be good enough for me. The exercise we worked on in class where I was forced to address audience gave me a lot to think about. First off, it made me conceptualize the ePortfolio as a project that I will share with a wide variety of people, and then asked me to categorize the audiences based on differing expectations.
For example, I want this portfolio to be something that I can show potential employers in the entertainment industry. This site will demonstrate how I can write, produce and edit videos, and organize parts into a cohesive synthesis. I put this audience as my number one priority, because as I enter the workforce, I need to show I can make creative content.
After that, my audiences were of the academic variety. The outside evaluator and my professor are obviously very important audiences, as they determine my grade in the course. When asked to address their expectations, I turned to the rubric from the Minor in Writing. The odds are, if I impress them with “exceeds expectations” in a majority of the criteria groups, the portfolio will translate well to my main audience (the entertainment industry execs).
This exercise also made me unsure of how I want the page layout to be. I compared and contrasted the three portfolios that we worked through in class, and discussed the elements I liked and disliked from each. This helped me develop the idea of look and feel for my portfolio, which I want to be something like “corporate edgy.” It needs to be bright and challenging, but it can’t go so far as to be something that would be offensive or disrupting to my potential employers.