Evolution Reflection

Yesterday in class, we addressed three questions before peer reviewing my evolution essay intro.

1.) What is your best writing?

Passionate and gritty–this sounds like how I would describe my favorite film characters, perhaps there is something to this, but I’ll have to revisit the idea later. I feel my best writing is that which is completely separated from any sort of prompt because these works are generally devoid of passion. My best writings are generally backed by extensive research on the topic, which ensures valid arguments, but the pieces are also injected with a strong sense of caring about the issue, which cannot be fabricated. This sense of caring comes from deep within, from years of involvement with a movement or after some moving personal experience. My best writing is so because it uses emotion to push a strong sense of urgency about a crucial issue.

2.) What will your project say about you?

My project will speak to this sort deep caring about an issue and, more importantly, a deep caring about the people affected by an issue. The goal of my project is to raise awareness to the reality of poverty wages for fast food and other low-income, ‘dispensable’ workers. Further, my goal is to get folks emotionally involved to the point where they want to enlist in the Fight for 15 movement. This is a tall order, given that people, more often than not, don’t give a shit about folks outside of their inner circle of family and friends–pessimistically speaking, of course. The success of this project will be measured by my ability to achieve this goal. I guess I am less concerned with what this project says about me than what the project says about my audience, in terms of their reactions and, ultimately, in whether or not they decide to action against the injustice of poverty wages. If those who view my project conclude that I am a caring person, then that’s just fine. I think so too. But if those who view my project conclude that they are, currently, not caring people–and thereby seek to remedy that–, then I’ve done what I set out to do.

3.) What do you still not know about yourself as a writer?

Ultimately, I know what I like to write about–issues of social justice. What I’ve still yet to fully explore is where my limits lie within non-written modes. In other words, “I don’t yet know if I can create an effective multimedia project.” My final Capstone project will be the measure of how well I have met that goal. I have only just begun to explore the world of compiling various sources of media and using video editing software to create a novel and emotional video. Effective video editing will allow me to bolster the emotional pull of my work and, thereby, create more moving and purposeful pieces. Combining music that I am passionate about with an issue that I am very passionate about will, I hope, facilitate a creative atmosphere in which I can produce a novel and effective video.

Addressing these questions gives me a strong sense of direction going forward with the evolution essay and my final project. I now have a solid set of goals to work within.

As we began to review my evolution intro, I was reminded of the importance of incorporating identity and, also, my Capstone project, which–in my case–are very closely intertwined. I seemed to have gotten a little distracted in describing my identity as a person and how that changed during my time in college and talked less about my identity as a writer. Truthfully, both are closely related, as I described, “Writing helps strengthen my identity as someone who lives to help those in need and, reciprocally, my activist identity serves as a constant source for content to write on. The two form a perfectly symbiotic relationship.” It is important to talk about the two together, but I should reverse engineer them in order to describe the times when my writing and personal identity were separate and how that affected myself and my writing. Lastly, on a technical note, I think it would be interesting and effective to hyperlink each assignment from my annotated bib that I will cite in my evolution essay, instead of just recapping each one as I go. Overall, I am very excited to move forward with both projects and I have a lot of creative space and helpful advice to do so.

2 thoughts to “Evolution Reflection”

1. Hi JP,

As I was reading through your blog post, I found it really interesting that your answers to the first and second questions tied so closely together. You argue that your best writing is passionate, gritty, and well-researched. Your project, thus far, has displayed that passion and grit. The amount of research, both written and in images, that you’ve conducted thus far is extensive. I think that if your project is moving in the direction of being a reflection of your best writing, you are in a really, really good place. Your goals are ambitious, but you are motivated, and I definitely think you can reach them.

Sarah

2. Hi JP,
    I like how you wrote so much about how you will incorporate your own identity through your project. It seems like writing is very useful for you when it comes to deciding who you are as a person and how you will impact the world. Emphasizing the parallel between how writing shapes you as a person and how you use the person you are in your writing will help give your evolution essay depth, and explain how writing and personal identity have a mutual relationship.
    Looking forward to see what you do!
    Allison