Got a secret? Halp.

Stressed! Such an overused and cop-out word, but that is definitely what I’m feeling. It’s blizzard-ing. I can’t get out and I have no supplies.

How do I possibly put this together? I think part of it is in the nature of my topic. Literally what is a secret. AND how can I narrow down such a large, personal idea. I’m writing this blog post in somewhat of a panic, because I’m quickly realizing that people aren’t going to want to tell me, a stranger, their biggest secrets. This was the original idea, to get people to talk to me about their secrets and what came of their situation. But they’re not going to say it to me. I mean who even am I?  A crazy girl on the street asking for people to tell me something they’ve never told anyone.

Thanks to Mollie and Christina, however, I’ve come up with a different idea. Instead of making podcasts that are just one person, and asking them about their secrets, I’ll collect secrets anonymously. Then, I’ll have other people read the secrets and record them. I’ll compile the secrets into podcasts with around 15 per podcast, and then pick out a theme. I still plan to interview people about secrets and get some stories from those who are willing to share, but my original plan is simply not realistic.

I’m wondering if anyone has any other ideas for podcasts that I can make? Or if I can somehow still do my original idea? So far I’ve only interviewed my friends, and I had a hard time getting anything out of them. Granted, I think it might be harder for me to get secrets from people I know than from strangers, but maybe I should just be giving it another shot? SOS. Still snowing.

Let me know if you have any other idea! (Please) Thanks friends. You rock. Never change.

6 thoughts to “Got a secret? Halp.”

1. Hey Kelly! I’m not sure if this is something you’d be interested in doing for a podcast, but what if you analyzed the differences between people who anonymously tell you their secrets and those who don’t? I think that could maybe be an interesting little experiment: hearing what someone’s secret is before you tell them it’s anonymous and then hearing what they have to add or ammend after you tell them their name won’t be attached to what they have to say. I’d be very curious to know about what gets left out (or changed) and why these things get left out or changed – in some respects, I think it would be very telling of how we as individuals process public perceptions of our thoughts and actions. Some people may be very open while others may be less revealing, but either way I think there’s an interesting story to tell!

Hope this helps or at least maybe gives you some ideas!

Jeff

2. Hi, Kelly!

First of all, what an interesting idea for your project! Since I haven’t worked with you at all yet, I actually had no idea what your project’s about. So creative! I’m sorry you’re in a panic, though! I see your point about how strangers would be unwilling to pass along their secrets to someone they don’t know, and I think Mollie/Christina’s idea is definitely a more realistic revision to the project.

One possible idea for a podcast could be to look into what the experience of telling someone your secrets is like. In my personal experience, letting someone in on something I swore to myself I wouldn’t ever disclose has been entirely terrifying and then shockingly cathartic – and then there’s been a new bond of trust forged between myself and my new secret-keeper. I wonder if it’s that way for other people?

Either way, if a Google form (or something) ever comes up to anonymously share secrets, give me a shout! I’d be happy to contribute.

You can do it!
    -Alexis

3. Hi Kelly!

Like Alexis said, very intriguing topic! I do see how you can be kind of stuck on how to realistically execute it. I like what Jeffery and Alexis said. I think that rather than being too hung up on your original idea, i’d say using some sort of web portal for anonymous submissions would get you better content, likely both quantity and quality wise. I do think there could be some interesting things to take from people who are willing to speak to you. Maybe someone who feels they have a “big secret” but maybe doesn’t even want, or need to tell you.

The nature of a secret to keep it to yourself. It could be very interesting to study how people react why you ask them to share it. What is their initial thought? Why did they react that way? What are the fears/anxieties they have about telling their secrets? A lot of interesting questions can be answered without them even sharing the secret in the first place. I think what I am getting at here is that I would not totally discount the people who do not want to share secrets with you. These people could also have a very interesting insight into the phenomenon. I think interviewing people who are not willing to share their secrets and comparing and contrasting answers to those who did share their secret with you could be really interesting! In my opinion, a person who has kept a big secret for a long time is just as intriguing, if not more, than someone who shares it.

Keep the class updated once you are accepting submissions for secrets because I am sure there are a number of us that you be willing to contribute! Also – I recently began sharing and writing in classroom settings about a secret that I have kept from most people in my life. Hmu if you’d want to interview me.

Best of luck!

Carlina

4. Hey Kelly!

I agree with everyone that has responded to your original post! As I have already stated, I love your general idea. I think the concept of secrets is incredibly interesting, not to mention when you bring up the aspect of telling others your secrets/breaking others trust, etc. Which is why I strongly agree with Carlina! I think you should focus heavily on the actual process of others telling you their secrets – or telling other’s secrets. Also, it can be interesting to hear what people want to keep as secrets to begin with – maybe that would be an interesting spot to compare and contrast based off of people’s personalities?

So many interesting places you could go with this idea! I am excited to see where you take it!

Mollie

5. Hey Kelly,

I think people would be more willing to offload their thoughts than you’d think, if it were anonymous – probably with any face-to-face interaction. I am reminded of the book PostSecret that collects submissions of random secrets. There were several hundred in each book, if my memory serves correctly. Making an online portal for anonymous submission shouldn’t be too difficult. However, I suggest requiring submitters to offer explanations for why they’ve kept these secrets, as Carlina suggested. This makes it so that you’re not simply collecting peoples’ unwanted baggage, but can use it constructively.

Beyond this, however, I think your problem lies in publicizing the collection method. Posting the link to a portal on Facebook might work well, but I can’t vouch for the viability of that option. Perhaps you could frame it as a psychological study and distribute it through different channels in addition to Facebook, garnering a wider audience. Maybe even physical flyers would work. That is one of the most effective ways my business fraternity promotes itself.

I hope this helps.

Miles

6. Hey Kelly!

When I was younger, I was a huge secret-keeper, of both my own secrets and secrets that other people would share with me. (According to the Chinese calendar, I was born in the year of the dog, which supposedly made me a great keeper of secrets.) What I remember most distinctly was the pride I attached to those secrets and the lying I had to do in order to keep them secret. I find the lies that surround and protect secrets fascinating.

I really like the ideas that everyone else has mentioned, regarding anonymous secrets and the act of revealing those secrets. I would also suggest that you investigate how these people have kept their secrets under wraps. Depending on the weight of the secret, and how long they’ve kept it, it could be interesting to look at how someone has managed to do so. There’s also a good amount of emotion connected to that, as the above comments have mentioned, so I’d say that’s a great source of material for podcasts too.

Good luck, and don’t let yourself stress too much! You’ve got this. But just in case, this: https://www.rover.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/shiba-tapdance-dog-dance.gif.

All the best!
    Rachel