I spend the same amount of time trying to think of titles for my blog posts as coming up with captions for my instagram pictures… too much.

After exploring the definition of boilerplate in class, I noticed that they’re everywhere. I started seeing phrases and just pondering “What does that even mean?”. So, thanks to our discussion I now suffer from constant skepticism about the validity of everything I read, and everything I say– comforting.

Anyhow, my favorite discovery was on the Ross School of Business’s homepage: “Real projects with real people to solve real-world challenges”. Retrieved from http://michiganross.umich.edu

What in the hell does that even mean? Does it mean other colleges and career paths do not offer palpable projects? Is Ross the only school where real people are involved? “Apply today!” And what is this definition of “real-world” challenges? That adjective gives the impression that challenges addressed at other schools are simply fake and nonfactual, as if they don’t matter.

I’m still upset about this phrase.

As for cliche… I decided to search Her Campus and Buzzfeed. After thorough (and painful) investigation, I discovered an interesting trend that has also surfaced in my social life. The term “best friend” when a girl is referring to a boy is, in my opinion, a grade-A example of cliche. Personally, I do think it is possible for a girl and a guy to be best friends, but the context in which I observed it online and in real life did not give that impression. More often than not, I perceive the reference to a boy as a girl’s “best friend” as a cop-out. In reality, the boy is simply a decent kid who is hopelessly pining after a girl who does not like him, but likes the attention he gives her. I think this cliche seems apparent to me just because I am a girl with a couple guy best friends, and the relationships I have with them do not at all replicate the “6 Things Every Girl Experiences When They Have a Guy Best Friend” as so helpfully described on Her Campus.