Judging a [Website] by its [Home Page]

I’m not going to lie, first visual impressions are everything for me. Whether it be a book or a website, I judge what I’m looking at by its aesthetics. That doesn’t mean the nit-picky details aren’t important either, but when deciding which Eportfolios stood out to me, I chose the three I did primarily based on my initial impression— especially of the very first page.

Screen Shot 2016-03-20 at 3.21.50 PMScreen Shot 2016-03-20 at 3.21.57 PM

I chose Cameron and Logan’s for very similar reasons. I enjoyed the large images and the professional looking text. As opposed to Eportfolios with busy backgrounds and fancy fonts, I appreciated the simple white background and generic fonts contrasted with the beautiful pictures. I think these traits make the sites look more professional. They look like actual websites instead of bearing closer resemblance to a blog or a website that was clearly made just for an assignment.

Screen Shot 2016-03-20 at 3.22.05 PM

Sara’s EPortfolio differed from the last two I chose in that it does contain the flowery font, but it still stuck out to me because of how simple and elegant it is. While I will probably not mirror this writers choice in font or background, I thought the tabs and assignments were very easy to navigate and explore. I liked that the projects were sorted nicely into three tabs, and each one contained screenshots that you could click on and make bigger. The one thing I would change would be to not have the bigger versions open up in new windows (if at all possible).

Looking at all of the examples definitely showed me that I like simple. For me, less is more, and I think I will try to mirror the professional design of the first two EPortfolios mentioned.