Keepin it conservative(ly designed)

The sites that stood out to me were ones that weren’t designed like it was an assignment for school, but like a professional portfolio to share with others. I know it’s still going to have a slightly academic-y vibe because we’re adding our process work, but sites like Hannah Schiff’s, Sara Estes’s, and Allison Raeck’s balanced this display of process, as well as other writing. The one part of these websites that I might change, however, is the design of them. Some of the design choices seem a little excessive—looking at Will Ruben’s, his seems a little overly designed to the point where the visual elements distract from the content of the website. Allison’s has this quality a little as well, but Hannah’s and Sara’s are more conservative, in a good way. Their visual elements add character and identity, but don’t distract from their writing.

I looked a little at Adam Gopnik’s and Susan Orleans’s online portfolio’s, too, to see how they divvied up their website. They were organized by the different works—their books, articles, and broadcasts—and then an about page, a contact page, and a home website which held a welcome message and a twitter feed. Design-wise, these ones were all minimally designed, with just a small stylistic element at the top of the website in the navigation bar. Here are some screen shots of their home pages:

Screen Shot 2016-03-19 at 1.21.20 PMScreen Shot 2016-03-19 at 1.23.17 PMScreen Shot 2016-03-19 at 1.20.59 PM