Other People’s Worlds

I have to admit that I’ve already looked through most of these portfolios. Curiosity got the best of me, and I wanted to have as much inspiration as possible before I began to create my own.

The ones that attracted me the most had clean lines, were easy to navigate, and had cool fonts. I have a thing for cool fonts.

So two that I want to point out here are Caroline Rafferty’s and Emily Kuchman’s. They both had visually pleasing home pages that made me want to stay awhile and search around.

Right away, they made it clear what the purpose of the site was, and they included an “about me,” which I found to be a helpful addition to their portfolio as a whole.

I think it’s important to explain who you are and what you’re about before people read your work.

Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 3.20.42 PM
Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 3.22.05 PMScreen Shot 2016-03-21 at 3.24.55 PM

Additionally, Caroline┬áhad a menu bar that was easy to read and easy to navigate. Even if I weren’t in the Minor, I would be able to understand what kind of writing is on each page, and what kind of project was being completed.

I think that the success of these portfolios had to do mostly with their professional nature; they look like real websites. For me, I am going to keep this in mind as I choose fonts, themes, and pictures, and I think I’ll want to stay away from making my site bloggish. I want mine to be a little more serious, and while it can still be personal, I want it to be professional.

2 thoughts to “Other People’s Worlds”

1. Hey Emily!
    I think we looked at two different lists of ePortfolios because I don’t recognize these two. I agree, though. Both are really aesthetically pleasing and professional.
    -Regina

1. Hi Regina!
      I actually choose these from the Fall 2015, instead of the Fall 2014, Cohort! I had already looked through a lot of the Fall 2014 ones, so I wanted to expand my search a little. You can find them here!