Priorities, people

When I woke up yesterday to go to my meeting with Raymond, I packed my bag with clothes for the gym and work for the library. I had my meeting with Raymond and then headed toward campus. I went to the gym, did my workout, and then, of course, walked straight home – the work in my bag left sadly unattended. On my walk home, I noticed that the weather had become sunny and warm – very springlike. So when I got home I was overcome by a very severe case of spring cleaning fever. I spent more than two hours cleaning the kitchen, family room and my already clean bedroom. As I did these things, I made a decision: no work until the sun goes down.

I woke up this morning and made the exact same decision. I spent the day rearranging the eggs my housemates and I had dyed until they were in the perfect position for an Instagram post. I walked with one of my housemates to Lucky’s Market, where I spent $30 on things I didn’t need: fruit and coconut water – which, on its own, tastes like sweat by the way – for a smoothie, a rotisserie chicken and some flowers. I made my smoothie, de-chickened my bird, called my dad and took a shower.

But on neither occasion did I regret my decision, despite the fact that I have a thesis due on Friday and feel horrifyingly lost and overwhelmed when it comes to my capstone project. So as I stood in the shower this afternoon, I thought about why I repeatedly made this decision. Was it just senioritis kicking in? Maybe so, but I realized for me senioritis is about more than just being tired and sick of work. It’s about prioritizing other things over work. As the amount of work I have piles up and the pressure to power through increases, I allot less and less time to it and more time to things that make me increase me personal happiness. And in doing so, I almost feel less stressed, because I am happier. I know everything will get done. When has it ever not?

So how is everyone else coping with their senioritis? Has anyone avoided it? Has any person ever?

2 thoughts to “Priorities, people”

1. Hi Christina,

As I’ve blogged (too often) about before, I can absolutely sympathize with the procrastination. I pride myself on being the kind of person who exceeds deadlines, but this project and each draft associated with it has me working up to the wire. It seems every block of time I set aside to write is chewed away bit by bit until I resolve to “let’s try it again tomorrow.”

At the end of the day, though, I agree – it will get done. It’s still comforting to see posts from fellow senioritis-enduring classmates when you’re in a rut, I’ll say that!!

2. Christina,

I was about to write the same post. I too have been procrastinating with regards to my classes, even this course which I consider to be one of the best I’ve ever taken. These moments of respite are antidotal, and should be savored for several reasons. I think that while our feelings of anxiety and being overwhelmed shouldn’t paralyze us, nor force us to neglect our duties for too long, they can result in thoughtful reflection that isn’t replicable if you’re head is constantly buried in the sand.

I would encourage you to try and document these moments of procrastination in short journal entries, because chances are you will have some sort of insight that emerges into the open space you’ve created in your mind. I’ve found this to be the case with every paper I’ve ever written. Capturing those thoughts is definitely hard, but the reward is, in my opinion, irreplaceable.