Project III: I actually have an idea of what I’m doing this time around

On to Project III.

After repurposing my Common App essay (about watching my brother battle through cancer — he’s healthy now, don’t worry) into an article published in The New Yorker for Project II, I’ve decided that I’m going to create an audio essay this time around.

Unlike Project II, I’ve settled on this idea from the get go. It stood out to me after some help from T, because I talked to my brother for 40 minutes on the phone before I wrote Project II. I recorded the conversation so that I wouldn’t forget any information while I wrote my New Yorker piece, but now I want to use that audio more directly.

Though I used quotes in Project II, I don’t think the words on paper fully captured the significance and the emotion of our conversation. For that reason, I plan to intertwine short monologues (2-4 sentences) that explain the context of certain moments, but primarily allow the audio to tell the story.

To start off, I’m going to look for some examples on NPR that I may be able to use as a guide for this project. Once I have a base idea of how to construct Project III, I’ll most likely use Garage Band to piece together my voice and parts of our conversation.

I’m not very good with technology though, so we’ll see how that goes.