Quiet Please

I stared at my computer screen, willing an answer to come to me. What is my pet peeve? What is it that really tics me?? I knew that that special something had to exist, but for some reason, I was coming up with absolutely nothing.

Then, the beeping started. The loud, obnoxious, impossible-to-ignore, repeating noise. The one that I have lived with from 6am to sometimes 10pm every day since the day I moved into East Quad for the fall 2015 semester. The one that I can hear especially well due to my location directly across the street from it. The one that is identified and begrudged by most East Quad residents. The sound effects from the construction of the new addition to the Ross School of Business.

For the past few months, I would have to say that Ross has become my pet peeve. From the times that I have found myself focused and excitedly approaching a breakthrough to a difficult math proof or an essay, or even those when I have found myself able to go to bed at a decent time, I have been greeted with construction noises – whistles, beeps, machinery, banging, clanging. All with no pause, no relief, no quiet.

Reflecting upon my dislike of the construction noise, I suppose it is not surprising that it is a noise that has become my greatest pet peeve this year. I have always been one to appreciate quiet. When I was a kid, intently reading Nancy Drew or Harry Potter, I would always rudely shush any member of my family who happened to walk into the room; much less dare to actually say something. In fact, it has become a bit of a joke in my family that I cannot stand the sound of unwanted noise. I cannot pinpoint the origin of this pet peeve of mine, but it is part of me. And because of that, I suppose I should embrace it by working with it rather than fighting it.

So please excuse me while I shut my window in hopes of blocking out some of the obnoxious construction noise.

One thought to “Quiet Please”

1. Hi Madison, I loved reading your post! I sympathize with your dislike for loud, obnoxious noise. One of my neighbors has a dog that barks at all hours of the day, and it drives me crazy. Then, other dogs chime in. It is like a chorus of little yelping dogs haha. Well, anyway sorry for the tangent. I am excited to read more of your work. -Chloe