What really is an “autobiography”?

To me, autobiographies have always been a strange concept. Biographies, on the other hand, I understand. There is nothing confusing about writing about the life of someone else out of personal interest or in order to share a life with the world. Authobiographies, though, are much stranger. An autobiography is the result of someone who decides to write about themselves, about their entire life, and share it with the world. It is considered vain, egotistical, and obnoxious when a person TALKS about them self, about their entire life, but for someone reason it is acceptable to WRITE about it. Does know else find it slightly vane that a person would decide to write about their life with the assumption that a large audience is craving the story? Of course, I understand the circumstances when the story contains an experience that most other people may not have experienced or been properly educated about, but still, the concept seems strange. While I admit I have read an enjoyable autobiography or two in my day, I can not deny that the genre seems strange to me. Would a proper name be, “Me writing about me and sharing it with you because you should want to read and learn about me”?