Why I Think I Write

While George Orwell was not an only child, in his essay “Why I Write”, he discusses his “lonely child’s habit” of creating stories and having conversations with imaginary people. Orwell states that his desire to write, or his “literary ambitions”, was born out of essentially being lonely and feeling undervalued as a kid. As an only child, while I did not feel undervalued or hold imaginary conversations, I discovered my literary ambitions by being alone. I picked up things around me to read, usually magazines that my parents left around; I became really into flying magazines as a kid. However, I never read a piece because I enjoy the act of reading: I enjoy having my questions answered.

When I begin reading, I immediately think of what questions can be answered by this piece, and what the author set out to answer by pursuing this endeavor of writing. In other words, I read with a learning or informative incentive.

This is where I find the most pleasure in reading, and so that’s what I want people to gain from my writing. I want to answer their questions while also showing them what question I set out to answer. When a reader delves into an essay I wrote, they will clearly know why I wrote the piece and what question I set out to answer. In my repurposing essay, I spend a lot of my paper discussing my topic personally, in a way that will make my readers understand why I care and why I took the time to write that paper. This is why I believe I want to write. I want to write in a way that will make my driving question intriguing to my reader and have them learn about themselves through my writing.

3 thoughts to “Why I Think I Write”

1. Hi Jordan,

My name is Chloe, and I am in the other Winter Cohort 2016 class. To start off, I loved reading your post “Why I Think I Write.” It was interesting to see how reading answered your questions and how this translated to you wanting to answer other people’s questions. Wow, this is motivational! Is there any specific type of writing that you prefer?

I am excited to see where your “Why I Write” piece takes you. Have you written a draft? For my essay, I changed the topic about five times before I turned it in. It was funny because the first and last drafts had no relation to each other.

Best of luck to you! If you have any questions please reach out anytime.

Regards,

Chloe

1. Hi Chloe,

Thanks very much for your comment. I would say my favorite type of writing is narratives. That is the form I chose for my re-purposing project–a reflective narrative. I have not yet written a draft for the “Why I Write” project; this blog is actually my first attempt at answering that question.

Like you said, I also tend to change up my topics quite a bit before turning in the final one. If I need any help I will be sure to reach out to you!

Thanks again,
      Jordan

2. Hey Jordan! It was cool to hear your perspective on why you write, and how your writing is fueled by wanting readers to understand more about the topic/themselves as they read, because I think I find myself writing for the opposite reason (or, perhaps, just an inherently selfish reason haha): I tend to write to help myself understand what I’m writing about. For me, I use writing to analyze and discover more about the topic/moment in my writing. I guess in the end, I hope that other people also gain more understanding, too. But, anyway, it was interesting to read what other writers are thinking about in their writing, and I enjoyed your post!