Change your mind

The one thing that I wish I had known before coming into this course, was how much my writing goals would change.

When I wrote my letter to apply for the minor, I talked about how I only wrote in an academic genre. I explained that I was comfortable making arguments and structuring essays. I wrote about how I wasn’t very creative.

But after I wrote my “Why I Write,” I realized that I wanted to explore my writing outside of academic essays. I wanted to see what my voice would sound like in more casual articles, and I wanted to see how creative I could be.

So I didn’t end up writing anything in a style that I was familiar with. All of my projects were new and kind of scary, but they were also incredibly exciting. It was refreshing to put myself out there in a way I hadn’t before, and it was rewarding to be able to do so successfully.

My advice would be to be flexible. Don’t have too many expectations for yourself. Be willing to explore writing as a whole, and don’t stay too close to your comfort zone. You’re going to grow as a writer in this class, and sometimes that growth is completely unforeseeable.

I became a lot more confident during this experience. More confident about my writing, and more confident about taking risks. I attribute that to my ability to rethink my goals, and the supportive classmates and teacher that I was lucky to have. Thank you to everyone for reading my terrible drafts and helping me to grow in ways that I could not have anticipated.