Drawings and Writings

I’m learning a lot about visualizing narratives through this project, and what goes into making a graphic narrative. Obviously, it’s not the same as simply writing an essay: you’ve got to think about the conjunction of text and image, and then you have to mock up potential drawings, and then redraw those, and then rearrange the drawings, and do the final inkings. The drafting process is similar to writing essays in that it’s a lot of restructuring and rearranging and refining an original skeleton of a story, and then you finally add the finishing touches– in this case, the final drawings and inkings, which actually take a lot longer than just going back through and proofreading an essay, funnily enough.

I was in Portland this weekend for a printmaking conference, so I didn’t have a lot of time to make any significant revisions over the weekend. I’m still in the early revising stages, but, after the in-class workshop and reading workshop letters, I think my next steps are to not make any large structural changes to the current narrative, but to just give a little more context in some areas (like the prints, and the review) and a little less analysis in other areas (like towards the end where I seem to come to more “conclusions” that makes it seem less of an introduction).

One thought to “Drawings and Writings”

1. Hey Alex,
    I can’t even imagine how long it must take to make multiple revisions of drawings. I feel like, unlike an essay where you simply backspace & type something new, with drawings you’d probably have to start from scratch every time. Sounds so daunting so I’m impressed you have that dedication haha!
    As for you project, I think it will be much easier to follow once you add in just those few clarifications. I was really intrigued by your project & art when we reviewed it in class last week, so I’m excited to see what you do with the final work!