Illustrations: To Use or Not to Use

Lately, I have been attempting to revise my e-portfolio into an increased simplistic nature. By revising, I mean taking my janky and overall obnoxious gateway portfolio and ultimately repurposing it for a much more sophisticated look. This revamp has included many choices in design, aesthetics, and you named it: illustrations.

My gateway eportfolio was busy. There were photos and design aspects flooding the page, and I wanted to eliminate that clutter for my revised eport. The overall theme of my capstone eport is the reflect myself as a writer and an individual, so I wanted to keep the focus on one theme: me. Originally on the landing page of my eport, I had a photo of a laptop accompanied by a follow. I altered this photo into a black and white form, fitting the overall design aspects of the rest of my eport–greys, whites, and blacks. While it look aesthetically pleasing, once I took my eport into class for peer review, the insignificance of the photo was brought to my attention. While on my previous eport the follow had matched my purple color scheme and had tied into the theme, as a reflection of myself, the photo wasn’t doing much. Yet, I liked the way it fit on the page and separated text from illustration: so what to do?

I thought about my peers’ suggestions and was torn at first. I felt as if the page needed some kind of illustration, and leaving solely text on the page would be boring. Personally, I’m not a big fan of text heavy pages, and even though there in minimal text on the landing page, I was afraid of it looking too bare. Now, I had to think about purpose.

Since the theme of the eport is overall myself as a writer, it astonished me that I never actually thought of portraying a sole picture of myself on the page. While I had photos of myself on my previous eport, I never left it as the only photo, and usually made it a small sector of the page itself. Yet, the best way to reflect on yourself is to portray yourself. I found a photo that I found fitting of my personality, which also ties into the visual elements of my theme. I allowed for the picture to be in color, offering soothing blues and beiges to the page, to contrast the white and black color scheme throughout.

When looking at the image, it gives off a sense of purpose–an identity to the eport, rather than a random laptop that isn’t even mine. As I further revise my eport, I’ve been myself eliminating much unnecessary design elements that clearly don’t have a significant purpose (and many of the images to keep the attention on the purpose of writing, rather than looking around). I don’t want my eport to be filled with Google images, I want it to be filled with significance. When scrolling through the pages, there shouldn’t be question onĀ why something it there–my goal is to make these ideas clear.

10404859_10206837657844953_914698373394214132_n