Sometimes The Words You Need Aren’t Your Own

Way back in my Gateway Portfolio I mentioned that I love inspirational quotes and hope that some day my words will inspires others. Fast forward to now and I still feel this way, and I even included a place for my favorite quotes in my Capstone Portfolio. For a long time I never stopped to think about why I love quotes so much, but lately I’ve had some realizations that might lead me to an answer.

While doing research for a job interview I cam across this Huffington Post article that includes an interview with Cheryl Strayed, the author of Wild. In the interview Strayed explains why people love a good quote, and I think she puts it perfectly:

“We’re hungry for consolation, we’re hungry for inspiration, truth. And what a quotes does is it delivers in a very concise, powerful form; that little jolt of that thing you needed to hear, that thing you forgot, the thing you knew, the thing you didn’t quite understand that’s now been articulated.”

To take this one step further, what I’ve found myself doing lately is turning to other people’s words when I cannot come up with my own. This semester, when I have struggled finishing that last paragraph of an essay or even just coming up with the perfect the first sentence, I have turned to Thought Catalog for inspirationBut not inspiration for the actual content of my work, just the type of inspiration that you feel from reading a really amazing or touching piece of writing. So, sometimes it helps to take a step back and let other people’s words inspire your own. I strongly recommend it!