This is Probably the Last Blog Post I Will Ever Write…

This is probably the last blog post I will ever write. It’s a bittersweet feeling. Sweet in the sense that these posts are surprisingly fun and will make for a random happy memory somewhere down the road; bitter in the sense that the real world is finally taking its hold of me and no longer will I have the opportunity to write blog posts and have it count as work.

The Minor in Writing has meant a lot to me over the past few years. Not only have I grown immensely as a writer, but I have also made lasting friendships and have worked with some really great instructors. I’m not sure where I would be if I hadn’t pursued a Minor in Writing, but I’m glad that I did.

At the bottom of this screen, you will see an image of my ePortfolio home screen. By clicking on the image, you will be taken to my ePort.

First, please read over this description of my ePortfolio. It will help get you acquainted with the main ideas:

While pondering my writing evolution early in the semester, I realized that I tend to use writing as a way of understanding myself and the people around me. Because I’m a pre-med student, I am aware that I’ve used science to understand people throughout my lifetime. But until writing my evolutionary essay, I hadn’t realized that I used writing for the same exact purpose. Interestingly, this is nonetheless evident in my writing. All of my work included in my portfolio, including my capstone project, seeks to understand myself and the people around me. When designing my ePortfolio, I wanted to make this a subtle motif. Therefore, I have created a transparent background featuring images from throughout my lifetime. Each image correlates to an essay that I have written at some point in time (though not all are provided in my ePortfolio), reminding you that my writing is about myself and others. Furthermore, the boxed-in reflections on each page, be it a major category or specific essay (minus the “Writing Evolution” tab), emphasize this idea. It is my hope that this message is clear to an audience of friends, family, and faculty/students of the Minor in Writing program (this is why I do not have my portfolio segmented according to minor-specific sections—it is not limited to a Minor in Writing audience).

My capstone project is an article “published” in The Atlantic. In congruence with my other work, this essay also seeks to understand myself and others. At the beginning of the year, Shelley suggested we write about a topic that we could not stop thinking about. For me, that topic was rock climbing. Feeling that an essay solely about rock climbing would limit my audience, I decided to instead write about outdoor adventure in general. This article seeks to understand why some people (including myself) crave dangerous situations of outdoor adventure. Does this not defy logic? Why would anyone purposefully put themselves in a situation of danger? Feeling that my voice alone would not provide a comprehensive answer, I decided to incorporate scientific beliefs on the subject matter in addition to my own narrative. Therefore, this essay is an analytical/argumentative personal narrative (it doesn’t really fit into one single genre so I had to make my own). As I see it, my personal voice is just as important as the scientific voice in this article because I use my voice to remind the reader that there are unique, personal reasons why one would seek out adventurous activities; science alone cannot answer everything. This idea reflects the overall purpose of my writing.

Cameron Fattahi ePortfolio

To my Minor in Writing friends and faculty: It’s been real. Keep writing.

-Cam