BIGFOOT KEPT LUMBERJACK AS LOVE SLAVE AND OTHER SHOCKING NEWS

I’m not the most political person.  I have no idea what’s happening in Syria and I’m still confused on Palestine vs. Israel.  Although I’m in an organization that encourages the spread of ideas and I attend one of the best public universities in the country, I stick out like a sore thumb.  And that scares me.

Regardless, I try.  Unfortunately, the majority of my “news” is from the blogging site Tumblr.  I know it’s pitched to me because the content I receive is based on who I follow, making it the most tailored site I’m a part of.  Even though it’s not officially a “news” site and I see more memes than breaking stories, day in and day out I see news targeting minorities, stories that aren’t really covered that extensively on the big networks.  Which means a lot to groups that want their voices heard.

Even though my news is from Tumblr, I know there are lesser news outlets available.  I picture the word TABLOIDS written on the wall, oozing with the blood of its victims.  I can’t even believe people buy magazines where the headline is BIGFOOT KEPT LUMBERJACK AS LOVE SLAVE.  (I’m looking at you, Weekly World News.)  Hey, it must be news to someone.

Like I said, I know I’m not an expert on worldly affairs.  I learned this the hard way when I tried to get into The Diane Rehm Show: Friday News Roundup to impress a boy.  (I didn’t impress him.) The delivery was boring and to the point.  Even the theme music sounded like it could lecture you on advanced microeconomics.   This wasn’t news for beginners or those looking for a crash course, it was for people who have been in the arena for years, and unfortunately, it was my first day.