Digital News Sources

The word news takes on a different meaning for me than what is traditionally recognized as the demarcating topics of “news.” While people automatically think about politics, business, the economy, and other sophisticated subjects, I’m more of an arts section/pop culture news kind of person. For me, my go-to news source, which encapsulates everything I love and feel that I need to know about, is Complex Magazine. They contain the latest information and updates on anything and everything pop culture. With a specifically tailored market at lovers of hip-hop music and hypebeast style, I spend hours upon hours reading every article they publish. However, in addition to getting my up-to-date news on the latest in the lives of stars like Rihanna or Kendrick Lamar, Complex also provides me with straightforward coverage of A-list current events. So, while being a hub for celebrity-obsessed personnel like myself, Complex also reports on the most important happenings around the world. They keep their audience well informed on significant issues and worldly updates while never saturating their articles with terminology and subjects that would turn their readers away.

Now, while I recognize that this answer is unoriginal, it reigns true for me in concurrence with some of my other classmates that Buzzfeed qualifies as a news source that is “too dumb.” If I’m being honest, I’ve never really given Buzzfeed News a try. Rather, my use of the Buzzfeed website has primarily consisted of taking quizzes on things like what my post-breakup haircut should be. However, with that being my most prevalent interaction with the site, I infer the sophistication of its news to be below my level. Even though I am no newspaper connoisseur, Buzzfeed’s reputation as the leader in clickable nonsense targeted at anyone trying to procrastinate discounts it as a desirable news source to me. With a homepage containing pictures of food, dogs, babies, and tags like “cute,” “fail,” and “wtf,” I just can’t bring myself to use it as an information source.

On the other side of the spectrum, I shield myself from news sources like The Wall Street Journal. As I’ve made pretty clear by now, I do not bode well with the complex and scholarly subject matter that is pervasive in their articles. When I go to their site and see political and financial jargon in addition to the little sidebar that is updating me on the stock market, I immediately close the page. For the most part, it’s not that I don’t think I’m intelligent enough to handle the themes and issues that The Wall Street Journal reports on. Rather, I just don’t care enough to invest my time in reading about topics I probably have a hard time initially grasping. My interests lie more in what critics are saying about Travis Scott’s new album release over how Exxon’s accounting practices are being investigated in pertinence to how the firm values its oil wells.