Him & Her (& Me): 10 Questions for Repurposing

For the entirety of this semester, I will be working on a piece that (as it currently stands) is a half-completed account of my experience going to a music festival with my boyfriend and his ex. Riveting. Fun. Good times shall be had. Here are the top 10 questions people tend to ask me on the street when I mention my situation (so I’m assuming, they will be the top 10 question my readers might want to know):

1. Why are they still friends?
  2. What is it like to hang out with them?
  3. Are you sure you aren’t just a rebound?
  4. How do you feel about their relationship (then & now)?
  5. What do you friends & family think about the whole thing?
  6. Do you ever think that they will get back together/he will cheat on you with her?
  7. Why did they break up in the first place (and how did you get together as a result)?
  8. Does he know how you feel about everything?
  9. Do you like her as a person/are you two kind of friends?
  10. Is it a stressful enough situation that you want to leave sometimes?

In order to successfully “engage” the reader, I think the most important thing will be to provide background information and context so that the dynamics of the relationships at play can be more easily understood by outsiders. I also want to come at from an unbiased (or as unbiased as I can be) standpoint. I don’t want the point of this to be bashing another person (or persons). So I think coming at it from a relatively removed standpoint might also help the readers, so they don’t feel lead to certain conclusions.

However, I think my major strength and some of the things I won’t have to clarify for my readers are the emotions and experiences. A lot of people have an ex. Or are an ex. Or are with someone who has an ex. And I think a lot of us have dealt with weird scenarios with our significant others and been insecure in our relationships–whatever the reason may be. That’s a basic human feeling that I think is really difficult to explain, but something most of us have felt. So while context will be key to provide some answers, the feelings–and sometimes even the motivation–behind those conclusions won’t necessarily have to be spelled out.