How Writing Leads to Thinking

Aside from Hunt’s argument that writing is a great way to pass time on an airplane—I get motion sick on airplanes and take anti-nausea medication that puts me to sleep– she makes many claims that I completely agree with, but have not given too much thought to when I think about writing. Writing really is a magical process that allows us to engage with our own thoughts, organize our ideas, and really make decisions about what we are thinking and feeling.

Writing is unbelievably thought provoking. As a writer, I consider turning all of my thoughts into pieces of writing, and every time I come across something interesting, I imagine what it would be like to write about it. For example: Why do I think pushing the elevator button twice will make it come faster? Or, when people ask “how are you?” when they pass by me in the Diag, do they actually want to know how I am doing, or has it just become another way of saying “hello?” As a writer, I am inspired to work out my thoughts on paper.

Writing truly is the best pastime, and sometimes, it is difficult to distinguish writing from a chore, since so much of my writing has been for classes in which I am told exactly what to write about and when to write about it. In this course, I hope to write more, and to write whenever I want about whatever I want, without confusing it with an assignment. I hope to really show people what I am thinking, dive deeper into my own thoughts, and maybe I will even conclude what “how are you?” really means these days.

3 thoughts to “How Writing Leads to Thinking”

1. I also have lots of varied thoughts throughout the day, however I find it interesting that you want to write about these. I’ve never thought about it that way, they’ve always just been passing fancies instead of something worth exploring. I wonder what I’d find if I wrote down all my weird thoughts instead of just To-Do lists I never get around to.

2. I’ve never thought about the way people say “Hello, how are you?” in quite the same way that you wrote about. I’ve heard the idea that these open ended, polite questions are not supposed to warrant much more than a “great” or “just tired,” but as you related it to writing for assignments where there is the same sort of understood or expected answer, it seems that many different aspects of our lives require that same sort of predetermined politeness. I’m excited for you to be able to escape those expectations of your personal expression for a little while you are writing for the Minor 🙂

3. I do the same exact thing when I have thoughts that stick out in my mind– I want to write them down and then see what other thoughts emerge from those. Writing can open up so many more ideas than we are even aware we have. It is a great alternative to overthinking things, which is something I often do, because it allows us to move on from thoughts that are stuck in our head and find greater clarity and understanding.