News Sources

While it may seem obvious, after deliberation and a lot of searching online for news sources I really do believe the New York Times is perfectly aimed toward me and my peers as an audience. It’s not only easily accessible, but it also provides articles that are easy to comprehend without dumbing down information. Even more depicting of how it aims to please an audience that includes myself is the organization of the site. The amount of different topic headings shows that it provides news on a wide range of matters; this allows for readers who don’t necessarily only enjoy reading about politics. Adding those sections for entertainment makes it less intimidating for younger readers while also having sophisticated writing.

I then spent some time looking for news that was, in the nicest way possible, too dumb for me. I looked around online for awhile before remembering that I get daily emails from the Skimm, which is basically a quick summary of the news from the previous day. It includes fun, attention-grabbing hooks for each section and a few brief sentences about the event or issue. Things like, “Yesterday, Wells Fargo was fined $185 million for being shady AF,” with a hyperlink to get more info on the topic if you want it. It is a very simple, very easy to read news source. 

Finally, as hard as it is to admit that something is beyond my abilities to comprehend I found that the World Affairs Journal might be just that. For one, the only news option is about world affairs, and while I am an international studies major and should be more invested in it I just don’t have time to sit down and read a 2,000 word article on any country’s problems. Then, as I was struggling to stay focused I found several references throughout the article that I simply didn’t understand. I’m not sure if it’s something I should understand and don’t or if it really is just for history buffs who know everything about everything.